India-inspired ‘Smile Pinki’ bags Oscar for best short documentaryFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 10:29 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 23 (IANS) American filmmaker Megan Mylan won the best short documentary Oscar for her movie “Smile Pinki”, a heartwarming tale of a poor Indian village girl whose cleft lip made her a social outcast.
The documentary, which bagged the award here Sunday, traces Pinki’s journey from being ostracised to being treated like a normal girl after a social worker helped her undergo surgery.
Mylan says the happy ending inspired her to show Pinki’s story.
“As a filmmaker who focuses on social issue documentaries, it is rare that I get into a film knowing we’re likely to have a happy ending. So, I was excited to tell the story of this beautiful hospital and a team of doctors and social workers treating their patients with such compassion and quality care and making a positive impact,” said Mylan.
“We didn’t have any money for the surgery and I used to wish that she would die. But things changed after the operation. And I really wish that the film wins at the Oscars,” said Pinki’s mother before the ceremony.
“Spielzeugland (Toyland)” won the best short film (live action) Oscar. A Mephisto Film Production by Jochen Alexander Freydank, the 14-minute film is set in 1942 and is the story of a German boy who believes that his Jewish neighbours are going to Toyland.
- American virtuoso teaches violin to cleft-lipped children in Varanasi - May 12, 2010
- Doordarshan to showcase 'Smile Pinki' on Sunday - Nov 10, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' all set to be screened across India - Oct 02, 2009
- Pinki makes her village 'smile' after wooing Oscar jury - Feb 23, 2009
- Reality more fascinating than fiction: 'Smile Pinki' director - Nov 08, 2009
- Gursharan Kaur hosts a reception for smiling ''Pinky'' - Feb 27, 2009
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- India's poverty in Oscar spotlight - Feb 20, 2009
- Oscar-famed Pinky gets grand welcome - Feb 28, 2009
- Pinki of Oscar winning documentary wishes to be a surgeon - Feb 27, 2009
- 'Smile Pinki' returns to help children with cleft lips - Sep 26, 2009
- Villagers in UP celebrate after ''Smile Pinky'' bagged Oscars - Feb 23, 2009
- Oscar for best short documentary goes to India''s ''Smile Pinki'' - Feb 23, 2009
- Indian poverty under Oscar scanner again - Feb 03, 2010
- Oscar winner Pinki to be election mascot of National Dalit Front - Mar 07, 2009
Tags: american filmmaker, cleft lip, compassion, documentary, film production, german boy, jochen, megan, minute film, mylan, neighbours, oscars, ostracised, quality care, short film, social issue documentaries, social outcast, social worker, social workers, village girl