India has experienced over 4100 terror attacks since 1970December 3rd, 2008 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec.3 (ANI): A University of Maryland study has claimed that India has experienced over 4100 terror attacks since 1970.
According to the universitys Global Terrorism Database (GTD), which the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) maintains, the number of fatalities number in the thousands.
This information is freely available online.
The GTD is the most comprehensive and detailed open-source terrorism database available. Funding comes from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
The GTD statistical summary on terrorism in India is as follows:
. India has experienced 4,108 terrorist incidents occurring between 1970 and 2004.
. During this period, India ranked sixth among all countries in terms of terrorist incidents (behind Peru, Colombia, El Salvador, the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland and Spain). . India had 12,539 terrorist-related fatalities between 1970 and 2004 - an average of almost 360 fatalities per year from terrorism in India. These fatalities peaked in 1991 and 1992, when 1,184 and 1,132 individuals (respectively) were killed in such incidents.
. Terrorists in India have employed a variety of attack types over time: 38.7 percent of terrorist events were facility attacks, 29.7 percent were bombings and 25.5 percent were assassinations. The recent events in Mumbai would be classified as a series of coordinated facility attacks.
. Detailed information on terrorist incidents in India between 1970 and 2004 can be accessed via the GTD online interface. The interface includes an Advanced Search function, allowing users to specify which types of incidents they want to explore.
. START’’s Terrorist Organization Profiles (TOPs) collection includes information on 56 groups known to have engaged in terrorism in India. Included among these groups is Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). (ANI)
- India faced 4,100 terror attacks from 1970 to 2004 - Dec 03, 2008
- US terror concentrated in New York: University study - May 05, 2010
- Big Apple bore the brunt of terror attacks in US - May 05, 2010
- Report: Rise in new terror groups globally, fewer coordinated attacks - Jul 08, 2010
- Religious terror attacks rare in US - May 31, 2009
- Suicide terrorism on the rise: US study - Jan 30, 2011
- Environment ministry launches portal on biodiversity - Dec 14, 2010
- International terrorism fatalities rising, not decreasing - May 25, 2008
- 1995 'Oklahoma Bombing' spurred dramatic increase in terrorism in U.S - Apr 25, 2010
- Al-Qaeda had been one of most lethal organisations under bin-Laden: Study - May 04, 2011
- Al Qaeda plotting internet jihad - Jul 13, 2011
- India's anti-terror intelligence hub cleared (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Landslides among biggest killers worldwide: Study - Aug 16, 2012
- NATGRID will improve India's war on terror - Aug 09, 2011
- Four militants killed in Russia's North Caucasus - Apr 19, 2011
Tags: assassinations, available funding, department of homeland, department of homeland security, global terrorism, islamic movement, maryland study, national consortium, organization profiles, peru colombia, search function, statistical summary, terror attacks, terrorism database, terrorism in india, terrorist events, terrorist incidents, terrorist organization, u s department, u s department of homeland security