India gives Cheetah helicopter to Namibian Air Force, two Chetaks in pipelineFebruary 10th, 2011 - 11:25 am ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
Bangalore, Feb 10 (ANI): India’s defence major Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has handed over a Cheetah Helicopter to the Namibian Air Force at the Aero India 2011 here, with two more Chetaks helicopters in pipeline to be delivered by middle of this year.
As per the contract, HAL will also supply two Chetak helicopters to Namibia by June this year.
HAL’s Managing Director P. Soundara Rajan handed the chopper to Namibian Defence Minister Major General (retired) Charles Namolah on the first day Asia’s largest air show at the Yelahanka air base.
“We will provide ground support equipment, ground handling equipment and initial set of spares for maintaining the copter, besides training to Namibian pilots and ground crew,” Rajan said at the event.
The chopper is powered by a Turbomeca Artosute III B turboshaft engine and is designed to operate over a wide range of weight, centre of gravity and altitude conditions.
The versatile multi role, multipurpose helicopter is highly maneuverable and rugged in construction. Due to its excellent power weight ratio, the Cheetah is one of the best suited helicopters for operations in hot tropical weather and mission at high altitude.
HAL and Namibia had signed the agreement in April 2009 for supply of two Chetaks and one Cheetah helicopters along with associated equipment. (ANI)
- India delivers Cheetah helicopter to Namibia - Feb 09, 2011
- India test flies light combat chopper successfully - Mar 30, 2010
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- Arunachal has witnessed several air crashes - May 01, 2011
- Women IAF pilots shine in Sikkim relief - Sep 24, 2011
- Hindustan Aeronautics to make flaperons for Boeing 777 - Oct 22, 2009
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Army pilot killed in chopper crash (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- HAL delivers four Cheetal copters to Indian Air Force - Jul 25, 2009
- HAL chopper lands atop building; pilots safe (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Technical snag cuts short indigenous chopper's flight - Feb 10, 2011
- Eurocopter launches Indian subsidiary to capture 50 percent market - Oct 20, 2010
- Eurocopter to mark significant presence at DEFEXPO 2010 - Feb 12, 2010
- 'Indigenous jet trainer to get initial clearance by July' - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: aero india, altitude conditions, centre of gravity, cheetah, chetak, chopper, copter, defence minister, ground crew, helicopters, high altitude, hindustan aeronautics limited, initial set, multipurpose helicopter, praful, soundara rajan, tropical weather, turbomeca, turboshaft engine, weight ratio