India dismisses reports of massive infiltrationApril 22nd, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 22 (IANS) The government Wednesday dismissed reports of large-scale infiltration in Jammu and Kashmir saying they were “exaggerated”.
“A section of the electronic as well as print media has carried reports about large-scale infiltration of armed militants through the Gurez Sector in Jammu and Kashmir. It is clarified that these reports are exaggerated and not based on facts,” the home ministry said in a statement.
According to the current assessment, the level of infiltration is a third of the figures that have been mentioned in the reports.
“The entire security apparatus is fully alert and geared up to foil any designs of the militants, and ensure peaceful polls in the state of Jammu and Kashmir,” it said.
Ahead of the snowmelt, militants had infiltrated in large numbers last month, using a treacherous stretch to cross the Line of Control (LoC) in Gurez sector.
At that time, security agencies believed the militants infiltrated in three groups but did not give a figure on how many had crossed over.
A fortnight back, Home Minister P. Chidambaram stated that all the four major militant groups in the Kashmir Valley were working in tandem and termed it as a worrying sign.
- Four guerrillas killed while crossing LoC - May 10, 2012
- Reports of terrorist infiltration into J&K exaggerated: Home Ministry - Apr 22, 2009
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- India, Pakistan troops exchange fire, infiltration bid foiled - May 01, 2010
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: Army - May 23, 2012
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Uri, three militants killed - Oct 23, 2010
- Army steps up vigil along LoC - May 20, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled, Army man injured - Nov 24, 2010
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- 450 terrorists waiting to enter India, says army - Oct 25, 2010
- Infiltration on rise in Jammu and Kashmir: Army chief - Sep 04, 2009
Tags: fortnight, home minister, home ministry, India, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, large numbers, loc, militant groups, militants, New Delhi, p chidambaram, polls, security agencies, security apparatus, tandem, time security, treacherous stretch