India detains six Pakistani fishermenNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:10 am ICT by admin
The fishing trawler has been handed over to Gujarat’s Okha Port.
The apprehended fishermen and the boat came from Pakistan’s Karachi city.
“When we were patrolling in Indian maritime zones, we detected few contacts which were operating close to the Indian coast. So, when we closed in, one of the contacts found to be Pakistani boat which was indulged in carrying out fishing in Indian waters and the boat was apprehended,” said A P Bardola, Commandant of the Indian Coast Guard ship.
The arrested Pakistani fishermen said they had accidentally strayed into Indian waters.
“We have been caught in the Indian side, on the Indian waters. Our engine broke down and our boat was carried by the current of the water. We never realised when we entered Indian waters,” said Sakur Ahmad, one of the Pakistani fishermen.
Pakistan and India frequently arrest each other’s fishermen for trespassing in their territorial waters but a recent thaw in relations has led to hundreds, many of who were languishing in jails for years, being released as goodwill gestures. (ANI)
- Five Pakistani fishermen arrested off Jamnagar - Jan 06, 2011
- Coast Guard nabs Pakistani boat, fishermen for trespassing - Nov 28, 2010
- 14 Pakistanis held from Indian waters - Apr 05, 2011
- Three Pakistani fishing boats seized off Gujarat coast - Dec 02, 2010
- Pakistan arrests 23 Indian fishermen - Apr 04, 2012
- Ten Sri Lankan fishermen arrested off Andhra coast - May 30, 2011
- Seven Pakistani nationals arrested off Jhakhau coast - Mar 13, 2011
- India releases 19 Pakistani fishermen - Jun 01, 2010
- Kerala boat hit-and-run: Cargo ship sailor arrested - Mar 08, 2012
- New interceptor boat for coast guard in Gujarat - Jun 17, 2011
- Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missing - Mar 04, 2012
- Five Pakistani fishermen nabbed in Kutch - Apr 10, 2010
- 12 Indian fishermen held in Pakistan - Dec 17, 2011
- Coast Guard prepared to aid distressed fishermen in deep waters: Antony - Dec 14, 2009
- 20 Pakistani fishermen arrested by Coast Guard - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: coast guard ship, fishermen, fishing trawler, goodwill gestures, India, indian coast, indian side, indian waters, karachi city, kumari, languishing, maritime zones, nautical miles, pakistan, patrol ship, sakur, subhadra kumari chauhan, territorial waters