India confirms fifth case of swine fluJune 6th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 6 (ANI): India has confirmed a fifth case of swine flu in a man travelling from the United States through London.
According to a Health Ministry statement, the 28-year-old man, who arrived in Hyderabad on May 31, reported symptoms of fever, cold and sore throat.
The Ministry said in a statement issued late Friday that he tested positive for the A (H1N1) influenza strain.
“His close contacts are being traced and advised home quarantine and their health status is being monitored,” the statement said.
On June 3, ten cases of swine flu were reported by medical authorities in Coimbatore. Out of the ten patients, two were confirmed to be suffering from swine flu.
The virus, which spreads easily and causes mostly mild disease, has been diagnosed in 17,564 people in 64 countries, killing 115, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
Although H1N1 swine flu appears mild, it affects mostly older children and young adults, and experts worry it could change into a more dangerous form.
The spread of H1N1 flu in Australia, Britain, Chile, Japan and Spain has nudged the world closer to a pandemic, the WHO said.
The new flu — a mixture of swine, bird and human viruses — remains most prevalent in North America but has infected nearly 19,000 people in 64 countries, according to the WHO’s latest toll, which tends to lag behind national figures but is considered more reliable. (ANI)
- Coimbatore reports ten suspected swine flu cases - Jun 03, 2009
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Swine flu spread much wider than suspected - Jun 09, 2011
- 'No mutation of swine flu virus' - Apr 11, 2012
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- Young child among eleven H1N1 flu deaths in Jordan - Jan 23, 2011
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- WHO declares swine flu pandemic over - Aug 11, 2010
- The reason behind mildness of 2009 H1N1 pandemic - Jun 19, 2010
- Swine flu rising in Russia, Europe - Jan 17, 2011
- Human, bird flu virus interaction can create more virulent strains - Feb 23, 2010
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Swine flu shot may hasten sleeping disorder - Mar 29, 2012
- Swine flu patients swell to 56 in Lucknow - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: fever, flu, health ministry, health status, human viruses, hyderabad, influenza, influenza strain, june 3, medical authorities, mild disease, ministry statement, mixture, New Delhi, pandemic, quarantine, sore throat, swine flu, world health organization, young adults