India, Canada agree to initiate exploratory talks on economic partnership agreementJanuary 21st, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan.21 (ANI): India and Canada have agreed to initiate exploratory discussion towards a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement.
Commerce and Industry MInister Kamal Nath and Canada’’s Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway Stockwell Day agreed on this at a meeting here on January 18.
We are committed to taking our economic partnership to the next level. The steps taken today will ensure we move towards opening doors for our respective business communities, Nath said.
Minister Nath and I agreed that officials should now meet to begin talks on the possible parameters of a comprehensive trade agreement. Our discussion here responds to the recommendations made by the Canada- India CEO Roundtable, Day added.
At a bilateral meeting held this week, while acknowledging the substantial growth in bilateral trade, both ministers stressed on the need to further tap the huge investment potential that exists between the two countries, especially in the areas of infrastructure, agriculture and related activities and Industrial goods.
They acknowledged the progress made on the Canada-India Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement (FIPA) and emphasized the need for an early implementation of the Agreement.
Nath also stressed the need for a particular focus on facilitating greater engagement between small and medium enterprises of the two countries. (ANI)
- India is our key priority in trade: Canada - Jul 08, 2011
- India, Canada favour increasing annual trade upto 15 billion dollars - Sep 25, 2010
- India, Canada to energise ties, fast-track nuclear deal - Sep 11, 2012
- Top Canadian leaders lead business mission to India - Mar 26, 2010
- India, Canada agree to strengthen business ties - Jan 21, 2009
- India is 'top priority' for new Canadian government - May 05, 2011
- Canadian PM, Manmohan to sign trade accords; n-deal unlikely - Nov 12, 2009
- Discussions with Malaysian PM have laid the ground for multi-faceted partnership: Manmohan Singh - Oct 27, 2010
- India-BlackBerry deal possible, says Canada - Sep 25, 2010
- Indian stock returns as good as China's: Bank of Montreal - Jul 16, 2011
- India, Japan to revive nuclear talks, seal currency swap (Roundup) - Dec 29, 2011
- India, Canada begin free trade talks (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Canada announces 10-year visas for Indians (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- India-Canada trade to triple in five years: Anand Sharma - Sep 24, 2010
- India, US to fast track investment treaty talks - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: asia pacific, bilateral trade, business communities, ceo roundtable, economic partnership agreement, exploratory talks, fipa, foreign investment, industry minister, investment promotion, jan 21, kamal nath, New Delhi, next level, opening doors, pacific gateway, parameters, small and medium enterprises, stockwell day, substantial growth