India-Belgium keen on strengthening bilateral tiesNovember 4th, 2008 - 7:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 4 (ANI): Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Kamal Nath today said that India and Belgium are keen on strengthening the bilateral relation by diversifying and boosting trade between the two countries.
While addressing the Luncheon Session on India and Belgium Partners in a Globalised World with His Majesty Albert II, King of the Belgians, here, the Minister said that the bilateral trade between the two countries during 2007-08 was US 8.6 dollars billion representing a growth of 13 per cent over the 2006-07 trade which stood at US 7.6 billion dollars.
The economic wellbeing of countries is intrinsically linked to the health of the global economy and added that the importance of strengthening partnership is well recognized and both the countries have been working constantly towards this, he added.
He further said that trade in services is another sector that has the potential to create mutually beneficial opportunities and Belgium, with changing demographics would increasingly need the services of professionals.
India can provide such skills and expertise, especially in the fields of health, IT and engineering. A facilitative visa regime will be helpful in boosting Indo-Belgian trade in services, he added.
Nath informed that India and Belgium share a long history of business relationship and Belgium is an important trading partner for India and is in top five trading partners in the European Union.
Both Indian and Belgium felt that they should work towards facilitating business to business contacts, focusing on SMEs and to create an enabling business environment. They also agreed for a regular interaction between the two countries for providing useful opportunity to discuss means of widening the bilateral economic and commercial engagement.
Indias major items of exports to Belgium are: natural pearls, iron and steel, organic chemicals, apparels, marine products, tobacco and plastics. Indias major items of imports from Belgium: iron and steel, nuclear reactors, plastic article, electronic machinery, optical and surgical instruments. (ANI)
- Belgium seeks strong ties with India in IT, gems and jewellery - Dec 04, 2010
- Belgium to renovate 14 railway stations in India - Mar 21, 2012
- India, Myanmar must conclude banking cooperation deal: CII - Nov 07, 2011
- Enough scope for enhancing India, Uruguay economic cooperation: Anand Sharma - Feb 24, 2011
- India, Singapore business chambers to boost trade - Jul 11, 2012
- India to build stronger trade, economic ties with Brazil: Anand Sharma - Mar 08, 2011
- India, Finland sign social security accord - Jun 12, 2012
- India, Belgium to seal railway cooperation pact - Aug 01, 2012
- Will seek lower import duties on dredgers, says Vasan - Nov 18, 2011
- Europe, India to deepen economic cooperation: Anand Sharma - Jun 25, 2012
- India, Belgium trade to go beyond diamonds - Dec 12, 2010
- Belgium Prince to strengthen bilateral ties with India - Mar 22, 2010
- India, Korea trade set to double in next five years - Feb 22, 2011
- India, Russia target $20 bn trade by 2015 - Jun 21, 2012
- Belgium to host major Indian business meet - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: albert ii, belgians, beneficial opportunities, bilateral ties, bilateral trade, business contacts, business environment, business relationship, economic wellbeing, global economy, important trading, iron and steel, kamal nath, luncheon session, minister of commerce, natural pearls, organic chemicals, smes, union minister, visa regime