India, Bdesh could work together to strengthen Parliamentary democracy: RahmanFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 9:28 pm ICT by ANI
Dhaka, Feb 23 (ANI): Bangladeshs newly elected President Zillur Rahman has said that both the neighbouring countries could work together for further strengthening the parliamentary democracy in the region.
There are ample opportunities to work together for making our parliament as the main centre of decision making and accountability, Rahman said after his meeting with Chatterjee at Bangabhaban presidential palace.
Zillur was speaking with Indian Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee at Bangabhaban presidential palace on Sunday.
He emphasized on the importance of regular visits by leaders of the two nations to increase bilateral ties between both countries.
Somnath Chatterjee invited Bangladeshi leaders for receiving benefits from the training on various parliamentarian norms from India.
He also asked the Bangladeshi President to take effective steps to make its opposition strong as it plays an important role in the parliamentary democracy.
Opposition for oppositions sake is not expected in parliamentary democracy. Constructive criticism and alternative proposals by the opposition will expedite the advancement of democracy, he said.
Chatterjee also met Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. He will hold talks with Nobel laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus also. (ANI)
- Bangladesh president hospitalised - Jul 31, 2011
- Bangladesh a key partner: Germany - Nov 28, 2011
- India only friend of Hasina government: Opposition leader - May 13, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi receives award on behalf of Indira Gandhi - Jul 25, 2011
- 'Friends of Grameen Bank' defend Nobel laureate Yunus from aggressive govt attacks - Feb 17, 2011
- Dhaka court hears petition challenging Yunus' ouster - Mar 06, 2011
- French president supports Grameen's Yunus - Apr 06, 2011
- 'Charges against Muhammad Yunus politically motivated' - Feb 18, 2011
- US asks Bangladesh to compromise with Yunus - Mar 20, 2011
- Delhi wants Dhaka ties to reach 'highest possible peak' - May 06, 2011
- Mixed reactions to Yunus sacking - Mar 03, 2011
- Kalam meets Grameen Bank's Yunus in Dhaka, dines with President, PM - Jul 20, 2009
- Bangladesh set to resume Yunus court hearing - Mar 07, 2011
- Myanmar president to visit Bangladesh - Jun 25, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi hails Dhaka's anti-terror efforts, receives award (Third Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: accountability, ample opportunities, bilateral ties, constructive criticism, decision making, dhaka, india bdesh, Lok Sabha, muhammad yunus, neighbouring countries, nobel laureate, norms, opposition, parliament, parliamentarian, parliamentary democracy, prime minister, sake, sheikh, somnath chatterjee