India announces additional 20 million dollars for Pak flood victimsAugust 31st, 2010 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 31 (ANI): India on Tuesday announced an additional US 20 million dollars in aid to flood-affected Pakistan.
External Affairs Minister S M Krishna made the announcement in the Lok Sabha today.
“Government has decided to increase its assistance to Pakistan from 5 million US dollars, announced earlier, to 25 million US dollars. Out of this amount, 20 million US dollars would be contributed to the ‘Pakistan Initial Floods Emergency Response Plan’ launched by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs,” said Krishna in a suo motu statement in the Lok Sabha.
“The balance of five million US dollars would be contributed to the World Food Programme for its relief efforts in Pakistan. Prime Minister has rightly said that in such times of natural disasters, all of South Asia should rise to the occasion and extend every possible help to the affected people,” he added.
Krishna further said India cannot remain unconcerned with this grave humanitarian crisis of enormous magnitude in our immediate neighbourhood.
“I had telephoned the Foreign Minister of Pakistan on August 13, 2010, and conveyed deepest sympathies and condolences to the people and Government of Pakistan, on this natural disaster, on behalf of the people and Government of India,” said Krishna.
“As a gesture of solidarity with the people of Pakistan in their hour of need, I had also conveyed Government’s offer of assistance of US five million dollars for provision of relief material from India for the flood victims in Pakistan,” he added. (ANI)
- Indian aid to Pakistan upped to $25 mn (Lead) - Aug 31, 2010
- India gives Pakistan $20 mn for flood relief - Sep 18, 2010
- India ups Pakistan flood aid to $25 mn - Aug 31, 2010
- India offers USD 5 million aid to Pakistan flood victims - Aug 13, 2010
- US donates vehicles, tents to Pakistan - Feb 15, 2012
- India offers $5 million to Pakistan for flood victims - Aug 13, 2010
- US pledges extra $25 mn for Pakistan flood victims - Aug 06, 2010
- US to send additional 18 helicopters for Pak flood relief - Aug 29, 2010
- Half million people affected in Pakistan floods (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- Pak preferred politics to citizen's welfare on Indian flood assistance package: Editorial - Aug 31, 2010
- US pledges $60 mn more as aid to Pakistan - Aug 20, 2010
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- India to send aid for Pakistan flood victims through United Nations: Govt - Aug 30, 2010
- 'No decision on accepting Indian aid for floods in Pakistan' - Aug 19, 2010
- Pak wants US to expedite disbursement of pledged aid - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: 20 million dollars, condolences, deepest sympathies, emergency response plan, external affairs minister, flood victims, foreign minister, government of india, government of pakistan, humanitarian affairs, humanitarian crisis, krishna, Lok Sabha, natural disaster, natural disasters, neighbourhood, relief efforts, relief material, South Asia, world food programme