Indefinite strike of private bus operators enters fourth day in Bhubaneswar

October 5th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by ANI  

Bhubaneswar, Oct 5(ANI): An indefinite strike called by private bus operators in Bhubaneswar entered its fourth day on Monday, as passengers continued to bear the brunt.

The private bus operators are protesting against the collection of toll at multiple points on the National Highway (NH)- five and NH five (A).

Though the strike had begun on Friday, the private bus owners officially announced it on Sunday.

“The toll fees imposed by NHAI (National Highway Authority of India) are exorbitantly high, it costs at least 700-750 per bus per day. Paying such a high amount of toll fees will make it next to impossible to operate,” said Debasis Nayak, spokesperson of Private Bus Owners.

Meanwhile, passengers complained about the whole strike and said that it was out of bounds for them to tackle it.

“Today is the fourth day of strike, there is no facility. Government transport is available, but its services are less. So, there is no transport available, we are facing lot of problems in commuting,” said Nrusingh, a passenger.

The bus operators have also proposed that the government should share 60 per cent of the toll fees and let private operators to contribute the remaining 40 per cent.

The association has firmly said it would not pay such high toll at the gates and that too at multiple points on the highway. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |