Income of NPS Trust to be exempt from income taxJuly 6th, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 6 (ANI): Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in his Budget Speech informed the Lok Sabha on Monday that he proposes to exempt the income of New Pension System (NPS) Trust from the income tax and any dividend paid to this Trust from Dividend Distribution Tax (DDT).
The Finance Minister also added that all purchases sales of equity shares and derivatives by the NPS Trust will also be exempt from this Securities Transaction Tax (STT).
Mukherjee further proposed to enable self-employed persons to participate in the NPS and avail of the tax benefits available thereto.
Underlining that NPS will continue to be subjected to the Exempt-Exempt-Taxed (EET) method of tax treatment of savings, he said that it is proposed to provide necessary fiscal support to the NPS for the establishment of much needed social security system.
“The New Pension System is an important milestone in the development of a sustainable, efficient, voluntary and defined pension system in India,” said Mukherjee. (ANI)
- Panel proposes hiking income tax exemption limit to Rs.3 lakh - Mar 09, 2012
- Life insurers disappointed with budget - Jul 06, 2009
- Direct Tax Code proposal has welcome respite for individuals (Special) - Jun 20, 2010
- Capital gains tax on private equity lowered - May 07, 2012
- New tax saving scheme for equity investment, STT cut proposed - Mar 16, 2012
- New direct tax codes to be tabled soon: Revenue Secretary - Jun 16, 2010
- Cabinet clears Direct Tax Code Bill - Aug 26, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee's Union Budget speech 2009-2010 (Full Text) - Jul 06, 2009
- Budget fails to impress markets, Sensex tanks 210 points (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Key Highlights of Budget 2009-2010 - Jul 08, 2009
- Proposed tax law change 'clarificatory', says Pranab - Apr 20, 2012
- Tax law amendments not aimed at opening old cases: Mukherjee - Mar 25, 2012
- Tax law change may yield Rs.40,000 crore: Government - Apr 24, 2012
- Income tax exemption limit raised to Rs.2 lakh (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Direct tax collection rises 13 percent in 2011-12 - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: avail, budget speech, derivatives, dividend distribution, fiscal support, income tax, India, Lok Sabha, milestone, New Delhi, nps, pension system, pranab mukherjee, social security, social security system, stt, transaction tax, union finance minister