Incessant rain brings life in Patna to a standstillJuly 17th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by ANI
Patna, July 17 (ANI): Incessant rains for the past few days have brought life to a complete standstill in Patna.
Schools have been closed for three days as rainwater has flooded residential areas in the city.
The waterlogged streets have restricted the movement of people and people are using boats to ferry around in the inundated city.
The civic authorities are being blamed as there has been water logging year after year.
“Every year it is the same story. Rain water floods the houses and streets, said
Sarita Devi, a resident and added, Every year we are given the assurance that the water will drain away but nobody does anything towards the problem.
She further complained, My house is flooded with water. Where will we eat? Where will we live? How are we going to manage?”
The situation has forced many people to abandon their homes and take shelter in safer places.
Waterlogging has also triggered fear of water borne diseases spreading in the affected areas of the city.
Patna received 16.3 mm rainfall from July 13 to July 14, and around 75.6 mm rainfall was recorded from 9.30 A.M. on July 14 to 8.30 A.M. on July 15.
The state’’s meteorological office predicted more rains in the next four days, which is likely to worsen the situation further. (ANI)
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Farm land inundated in Haryana's Yamunanagar - Jul 15, 2011
- Heavy rains end dry spell in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Thane; four drown - Jul 30, 2011
- Agricultural land flooded in Punjab - Jul 09, 2011
- Rainwater continues to cause havoc in parts of country - Jul 27, 2010
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi lashed by heavy rains; road, rail traffic hit - Sep 12, 2010
- Incessant rains disrupt normal life in Bengal - Jun 17, 2011
- Lake Delhi In Iowa Fails, Inundates Hopkinton Town - Jul 25, 2010
- Large tracts of Jharkhand flooded after rains - Aug 12, 2011
- Flood-like situation affects 40,000 in north Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Rains lash Lucknow, parts of UP - Jul 05, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt normal life - Jun 28, 2012
- Rains hit rail services in Chandigarh, Punjab, Haryana (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: boats, civic authorities, fear of water, few days, incessant rain, incessant rains, july 14, july 17, meteorological office, patna, rain water, rainfall, rainwater, residential areas, standstill, water borne diseases, water floods, water logging