Improvised Explosive Device recovered by J-K policeApril 8th, 2009 - 2:49 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Apr 8 (ANI): A major tragedy was averted last night, when the police recovered a powerful EID (Improvised Explosive Device) planted by militants in an open field near the railway track in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag District.
Local police officials informed on Wednesday that the explosive device, weighing 25 kgs, was planted by militants at Bijbehara, 45 kilometres from Srinagar.
The police promptly defused the device before it could cause any harm.
The elections in Anantnag Lok Sabha constituency are to be held on April 30.
With the snow on the mountain passes melting away at this point of the year, the infiltration attempts by the militants increase.
However, according to the security forces, the infiltration bids have begun quite early this year, with March itself recording several gunbattles along the border.
The forces also told that the pattern of infiltration is different as compared to the previous years.
Earlier, the militants used to sneak on this side of the border in smaller batches. However, this year, the Army had to encounter them in larger groups of 20-30. (ANI)
- Army defuses 5 kg bomb on Kashmir roadside - Nov 17, 2011
- 3 kg IED device found on Srinagar-Baramulla National Highway - Apr 08, 2010
- CRPF troopers defuse bomb on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Jul 12, 2012
- IED found in Srinagar, defused - Oct 18, 2010
- IED detected in Srinagar, defused (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Powerful explosive device found in Srinagar - Jun 30, 2011
- Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: Army - May 23, 2012
- 1 killed, 15 injured in south Kashmir blast (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Hizbul commander behind south Kashmir car blast arrested - Apr 21, 2012
- Peace winds blow in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2011
- Terrorist-stone pelter nexus unearthed in Kashmir - Dec 19, 2010
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Terrorist camps operating in Pakistan-held Kashmir: Indian Army - May 09, 2011
- Timely detection of IED averts tragedy in Srinagar (Second Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- CRPF learns to tackle IEDs - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: anantnag, army, attempts, batches, eid, elections, explosive device, infiltration, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kgs, kilometres, Lok Sabha, militants, police officials, previous years, railway track, sabha constituency, snow on the mountain, tragedy