Imprisonment of Varun Gandhi, an attempt to gather Muslim votes: ThackerayApril 1st, 2009 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 1 (ANI): Continuing to criticise the authorities for taking stringent action against Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Varun Gandhi, who has been accused of making communal remarks, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray on Wednesday said that that the imprisonment of Gandhi was a warning to Hindus and an attempt to gather Muslim vote bank.
“The way the Mayawati government slapped NSA and jailed Varun is a bid to appease Muslim vote bank. It is a warning to Hindus,” Thackeray was quoted by party mouthpiece Saamna.
“We can understand that action was taken for his alleged remarks but what is the justification for invoking National Security Act (NSA) and putting him behind bars for a year,” he added.
Supporting Varun Gandhi for his speech in Pillibhit on March 6, Thakeray asked, “How could Indira Gandhi’s grandson pose a danger to the country?”
He further accused the Congress for ignoring the rapidly multiplying population of Muslims in India, who hate the concept of family planning.
Thackeray, on March 27 had expressed his contempt against the Congress in an editorial in “Saamna” saying, “If Varun Gandhi merely uttered something in an aggressive manner in interests of Hindus, the so-called secular elements demanded his banishment from poll arena.”
“When Muslims, Christians and other religions look after their interests in the elections, why shouldn’t the Hindus do so,” he said.
He also sympathised with Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur saying that she was being served “insects” in her meals.
“Does Congress want to bring an Islamic rule in the country by pushing Hindus to the background?” he asked.
BJP ally in the coming elections, Thackeray-led Shiv Sena holds a stronghold in Maharashtra, where it will be contesting 22 of the 48 seats. (ANI)
- Conspiracy to finish Hindus: Thackeray - Mar 27, 2009
- Bal Thackeray targets Congress, Gandhi family - Sep 07, 2012
- Thackeray hits back at Ajit Pawar for letting off 'gas' - Jun 01, 2011
- Decision on prime ministerial candidate at appropriate time: BJP - Sep 10, 2012
- Congress misleading on Ambedkar memorial, Thackeray warns Dalits - Jan 02, 2012
- Shiv Sena pitches in for Pranab Mukherjee for president (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Court order promotes 'balika vadhus' among Muslims: Thackeray - Jun 08, 2012
- Bihar politicians slam Uddhav Thackeray - Sep 04, 2012
- Bal Thackeray blasts Sharad Pawar for 'kids' comment - May 07, 2011
- Elections will see communal parties losing relevance: Chavan - Feb 16, 2012
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Thackeray attacks Sonia, Rahul - Jan 08, 2012
- Thackeray bats for Sushma Swaraj as PM, BJP says decision later (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Thackeray attacks Congress' dynastic politics, Sonia Gandhi - Mar 21, 2011
- Thackeray hits out at Ajit Pawar - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: aggressive manner, bal thackeray, banishment, hindus, imprisonment, indira gandhi, islamic rule, janata party, maharashtra, mouthpiece, muslim vote bank, muslim votes, muslims in india, national security act, nsa, poll arena, pragya, saamna, stringent action, varun gandhi