Impeachment proceedings against Justice Dinakaran stayedApril 29th, 2011 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 29 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Friday stayed the pre-impeachment probe by a Rajya Sabha-appointed panel into allegations of judicial misconduct and corruption against Sikkim High Court Chief Justice P D Dinakaran.
The apex court passed the order on a plea by Justice Dinakaran, expressing apprehension of biased probe against him by the three-member panel, comprising Justice Aftab Alam of the apex court, Karnataka High Court Chief Justice J S Khehar and senior advocate P P Rao.
Senior advocate Amrendra Saran, appearing for Justice Dinakaran, pleaded before the apex court bench of Justices H S Bedi and C K Prasad that P.P. Rao was part of a delegation of lawyers, which had met the erstwhile Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishnan in 2009 to oppose his elevation to the Supreme Court.
Justice Dinakaran moved the apex court on Tuesday seeking stay of the impeachment proceedings initiated against him for alleged misconduct and corruption.
A three-member Rajya Sabha-appointed inquiry panel, which has been hearing the charges of alleged land grabbing and possession of wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Justice Dinakaran has sought quashing of the order of the panel, which has refused his plea for the recusal of senior advocate P.P. Rao on the ground that he was biased against him.
Justice Dinakaran, in his petition, submitted that there was likelihood of bias in the proceedings, as P.P. Rao had earlier campaigned against him when his elevation to the Supreme Court was under consideration. (ANI)
- SC Bench recuses itself from hearing Dinakaran plea - Apr 28, 2011
- Supreme Court stays enquiry proceedings against Justice Dinakaran - Apr 29, 2011
- Two Supreme Court judges withdraw from Dinakaran case (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Apex court stays enquiry against Dinakaran (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Dinakaran impeachment process to continue: Apex court - Jul 05, 2011
- Justice Dinakaran seeks stay on inquiry, member's removal - Apr 26, 2011
- Dinakaran's case may go to larger Supreme Court bench - May 26, 2011
- Apex court rejects Dinakaran's plea - Jul 19, 2011
- Apex court issues notice on Dinakaran's petition - May 16, 2011
- Supreme Court issues notice on Dinakaran's petition (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Dinakaran probe: P.P. Rao out of judges' panel - Jul 05, 2011
- Supreme Court reserves verdict on Dinakaran's petition (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Initial inquiry against Dinakaran valid, apex court told - May 31, 2011
- Charges against Dinakaran modified, apex court told - May 19, 2011
- A judge's conduct should be exemplary: Supreme Court - May 27, 2011
Tags: aftab, alam, apex, apex court, apprehension, chief justice of india, court bench, dinakaran, impeachment probe, impeachment proceedings, inquiry panel, judicial misconduct, k g balakrishnan, member panel, plea, prasad, rajya sabha, recusal, saran, supreme court justice