IJP candidate from UP’s Jaunpur seat found hanging from treeApril 13th, 2009 - 5:27 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Apr 13 (ANI): The body of an Indian Justice Party (IJP) nominee for the Jaunpur Lok Sabha constituency was found hanging from a tree on Monday.
Forty-eight-year-old Bahadur Sonkar’s body was found near Raja Ka Talab, barely 500 metres from his home in Ahiyapur-Rasheedabad locality, 200 km from here.
Central observers of the Jaunpur Lok Sabha seat have reached the spot and are investigating the case.
The tragic death of Sonkar has sparked off protests by party supporters and family members, according to whom a ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) candidate is responsible for the killing.
Sonkar, who was contesting against the BSP’s Dhananjay Singh, had reportedly been concerned about his safety and had even asked for police protection from the Election Commission.
IJP President Udit Raj has blamed the Election Commission for the death, as they did not provide security to the candidate even after repeated requests.
Raj is demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the case.
Meanwhile, the police has claimed that it is a murder and not a suicide case.
Jaunpur District Magistrate Aparna Upadhyaya has refused to comment on the issue. (ANI)
- Indian Justice Party candidate found hanging from tree - Apr 13, 2009
- Justice Party leader found hanging, blame game begins (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Justice Party chief wants CBI probe into candidate's murder - Apr 13, 2009
- Poll panel gets report on Jaunpur candidate's murder - Apr 20, 2009
- EC expresses 'strong displeasure' at replies of Lalu, others (Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Poll panel orders transfer of three Jaunpur officials (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- Congress demands CBI probe in IJP candidate's murder - Apr 14, 2009
- BSP parliamentarian booked under stringent law - Dec 16, 2011
- BSP MP arrested in murder case - Dec 11, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh police dub Jaunpur candidate's death suicide - Apr 14, 2009
- Mayawati draws flak over BSP man's link to murder (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2009
- Poll panel transfers three police offiers after Sonkar's death - Apr 21, 2009
- Death of Dalit election candidate warrants CBI enquiry - Apr 14, 2009
- After Dalit candidate's death, Jaunpur poll may be countermanded - Apr 18, 2009
- Mayawati flays poll panel for removing Jaunpur officials - Apr 21, 2009
Tags: cbi inquiry, central bureau of investigation, dhananjay, district magistrate, election commission, hanging from a tree, jaunpur, justice party, locality, Lok Sabha, observers, party supporters, police protection, protests, raj, sabha constituency, suicide case, tragic death, udit, upadhyaya