Idols worth Rs 10 million recovered by Chennai policeSeptember 1st, 2009 - 11:34 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Sep 1(ANI): Nine antique idols, stolen from Panchaloka temple in Tamil Nadu, were recovered by Chennai police on Monday.
According to reports, it included idols of Lord Vishnu, Lord Balamurugan, Lord Azhwar, Goddess Sridevi and Goddess Boomadevi.
The idols were recovered from three men, who were identified as Shyam, Murugan and Sugumaran.
It is said that the idols are worth Rs 10 million and have their origins in the tenth century.
“A special team intercepted the central railway station of Chennai on suspicion. Subsequently, we found out three persons with all the nine idols were there inside the car. They were arrested immediately, the value of the idols is Rs 10 million in the Indian market,” said S Rajendran, Inspector General of Police (Economic Idol Wing).
The three accused who had intentions to export the idols, have been remanded to judicial custody.
The alleged thieves also operate an antique showroom, which was a meeting point for both the sellers and buyers of stolen antique items. (ANI)
- CID recovers stolen antique idols in Chennai - Nov 13, 2009
- Stolen antique idols seized, five held - May 21, 2011
- Rs.50 mn-worth stolen idols seized in Tamil Nadu - Mar 25, 2009
- Six held for bid to sell antique idol in Delhi - May 29, 2010
- Two arrested with Rs.2 crore antique idol - Aug 02, 2011
- Two held with antique idol worth Rs.20 mn - Feb 09, 2011
- US seizes stolen statues from Indian art dealer - Jul 28, 2012
- Gang busted, idols seized - Mar 03, 2012
- Police clueless on Jharkhand idol theft - Jul 03, 2010
- Seven held for stealing idols in Tamil Nadu - Feb 01, 2010
- Three held with antique idols - Oct 24, 2011
- Two held for smuggling of antique idols - Sep 10, 2011
- Krishna idol stolen from Ranchi temple - Sep 01, 2010
- Two automobile thieves held - Jan 29, 2011
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: 10 million, antique showroom, central railway station, goddess, inspector general, judicial custody, lord vishnu, meeting point, murugan, origins, rajendran, sridevi, suspicion, tenth century, thieves, three men, three persons