IAF celebrates 75 years of its foundationNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:51 am ICT by admin
Chief of Army General Deepak Kapoor and Naval Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta were also present at the occasion.
Speaking at the ceremony, Air Chief Marshal Major said, “75 years have been an eventful journey for us in the IAF - from a flight of ‘Wapitis’ in 1932, to the fourth largest, professionally acclaimed, strategic Air Force of today that is the guardian of our vital interests.’
He highlighted the IAF’s modernisation plan and said that the air force is seeking requisite capabilities, “but well in time.”
“The changing global environment, regional military capabilities and vital national interests, necessitate a transformational modernisation,” he said.
“Modernisation plans include upgrades, to enhance the lethality and life of existing fleets. The MiG-27 and Jaguar upgrades are almost complete. The MiG 29 and Mirage 2000 upgrade are under negotiation. IL-76, AN-32 and the helicopter fleet upgrades will follow,” he added.
Later in the day, President Pratibha Patil released a set of four commemorative stamps on the platinum jubilee celebrations of the IAF.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi were also present at the occasion. (ANI)
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
- IAF chief describes security situation in India's neighbourhood volcanic - Oct 08, 2010
- Regional security extremely fragile, says IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- Mirage upgrade deal by March-end: Air chief - Feb 10, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Rs.11,000-crore upgrade of Su-30 proposed - Aug 18, 2010
- MiG-21 crashes in Punjab, pilot safe - Sep 06, 2011
- IAF to soon decide on bidder for Mirage upgrade - Jun 15, 2011
- Accident-prone MiG-21 to be flown only by experienced pilots: IAF - Sep 01, 2011
- Russia to modernise 60 MiG-31 interceptors by 2020 - Jan 02, 2012
- Nohwar to be next IAF vice chief - Jun 24, 2011
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Norman Browne assumes charge as IAF chief (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- MiG crashes due to pilots' inexperience: IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- Defence ministry panel to consider combat jet deal next month - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: air chief marshal, air force, arjan singh, capabilities, chief of army, commemorative stamps, eventful journey, h major, iaf, jubilee celebrations, mig 29, mirage 2000, modernisation plan, platinum jubilee, pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, sonia gandhi, UPA, vice president, vital national interests