IAEA chief ElBaradei meets KakodkarNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:55 am ICT by admin
He inspected the BARC facility and had lunch with nuclear scientists.
The meeting comes in the backdrop of the Left parties asking the Congress-led UPA Government not to go ahead with the talks for the India-specific agreement with the IAEA that are needed for the operationalisation of the Indo-US nuclear deal.
Though Government has said that India has not initiated any talks on the issue, formally or informally, the meeting assumes significance.
Sources in the External Affairs Ministry have said for an India-specific agreement with the IAEA, the Government would require more time.
The Left parties, which provide crucial support to the UPA Government at the Centre, have asked the government against negotiating with the IAEA to place India’s civilian nuclear reactors under IAEA safeguards, one of the first steps towards making the deal operational.
India is facing an informal October-end deadline to begin securing clearances from the IAEA and others to clinch the deal. This led UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi asking senior Left leaders to allow the Government to begin informal negotiations with the IAEA on Monday evening.
However, the Left has rejected the UPA’s suggestions.
The IAEA chief will be in New Delhi on Wednesday. He might also visit Taj Mahal in Agra. External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee is likely to meet ElBaradei on Wednesday. n Thursday, ElBaradei is expected to join Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for a lunch at his 7 Race Course residence.
Earlier today, the UPA-Left Committee on Indo-US nuke deal, which met in Delhi today and held discussions, has decided to meet again on October 22.
After the meeting, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who is also the Committee Convener, said the two sides shared their perception on various aspects of the deal. (ANI)
- India-US nuclear deal was win-win: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
- Peer review needed for all nuke reactors: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- ElBaradei - a Nobel laureate in eye of Egypt's political storm - Jan 31, 2011
- IAEA chief Yukiya Amano to visit Mumbai, Kalpakkam - Jan 14, 2011
- India honours ElBaradei with Indira Gandhi Prize - Sep 30, 2009
- ElBaradei urges Mubarak to quit - Feb 01, 2011
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- India role model for promoting peaceful utilisation of Atomic energy: IAEA - Sep 29, 2009
- CPI-M expels rebel member questioning support to Pranab - Jun 23, 2012
- Menon meets IAEA chief ahead of briefing to Board - Jul 18, 2008
- IAEA trying to dry up A.Q. Khan network: ElBaradei - Sep 30, 2009
- UPA-Left coordination committee to meet on nuke deal today - Jun 18, 2008
- UPA-Left coordination committee meet on nuclear deal postponed - Jun 18, 2008
- India initiates process for nuclear safeguards pact with IAEA - Nov 21, 2007
Tags: atomic research centre, barc, committee, crucial, elbaradei, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, IAEA, India, indo, informal negotiations, left parties, lunch, nuclear deal, nuclear reactors, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan singh, sonia gandhi, taj mahal in agra, UPA