I am ready to go to jail, if my involvement is proved: ModiApril 28th, 2009 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
Anand (Gujarat), Apr 28 (ANI): Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said he was ready to go to jail if his involvement in the 2002 Godhra riots was proved.
“I will abide by the Supreme Court directives and fully cooperate in any probe. I am willing to go to jail if my involvement is proved by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) in the post-Godhra riots,” he said at an election rally here.
“The criminals like Quattrocchi are getting bail, and Indians are being put into jails. I am ready for any challenge and would not kneel down,” Modi added.
The Supreme Court on Monday asked the SIT to probe the role of 64 people, including that of Modi in the post-Godhra riots cases.
The apex court order was passed in response to a petition filed by Congress parliamentarian Ehsaan Jaffery.
The court asked the SIT to submit the report within three months.
Meanwhile in Ahmedabad, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Lal Krishna Advani said the Supreme Court directive on the post-Godhra investigations was not a jolt to the BJP.
“The SC order is for an inquiry to be instituted and its directives would be followed by the party,” Advani said.
Bharatiya Janata Party General Secretary Arun Jaitley also spoke against the action, and said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is being used by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Government.
“The CBI took three years to file an FIR against criminals like Quattrocchi. It was the UPA Government which asked the CBI to let Quattrocchi go.
- Advocate files contempt petition against Modi on Godhra remark - May 01, 2009
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Godhra riots : Supreme Court to hear SIT report on Modi - Aug 19, 2010
- Ahmedabad court to pronounce verdict in Godhra riots case tomorrow - Feb 21, 2011
- Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex court - Apr 26, 2011
- SIT questions Togadia for role in 2002 Gujarat riots case - May 10, 2010
- Supreme Court vacates stay on Godhra trial - Oct 26, 2010
- Amicus curiae's report does not matter: BJP - May 08, 2012
- Godhra riot case: Apex court affords Modi relief (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Godhra riot case: Relief for Modi - Mar 26, 2012
- Godhra verdict: 31 convicted, 63 acquitted - Feb 22, 2011
- Maharashtra spares cop for Gujarat riots probe - Aug 31, 2010
- Supreme Court pulls up Teesta Setalvad - Jan 20, 2011
- Godhra riot case: Relief for Modi from apex court (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: apex court, arun jaitley, bharatiya janata party, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, election rally, general secretary, godhra riots, gujarat, investigation team, jails, jolt, lal krishna advani, narendra modi, parliamentarian, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, quattrocchi, supreme court directive