I am not afraid of being arrested, says VaikoApril 10th, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Apr 10 (ANI): Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) General Secretary Vaiko on Friday said that he was not afraid of being arrested for making inflammatory speech.
“I am prepared to face any charges. I am not scared of arrest,” Vaiko said.
His comments came after an First Incident Report (FIR) was issued against him under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Law, for allegedly delivering inflammatory speeches in support of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
On Thursday, Vaiko had warned of a bloodbath in Tamil Nadu if the LTTE Chief Prabhakaran is harmed.
He also said that India would not remain one country if the war against the LTTE in Sri Lanka was not stopped.
The case has been registered under 13 (1) b of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act, 2004 (advocating, abetting, advising or inciting the commission of any unlawful activity) and also under Section 124 -A and Section 505 (1) (b) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Section 124-A relates to sedition (attempting to bring into hatred or contempt or exciting or attempting to excite disaffection towards the Government established by law in India).
Section 505 (1) (b) relates to statements conducing to public mischief (making statement with intent to cause fear or alarm to the public whereby any person may be induced to commit an offence against the State or against the public tranquility). (ANI)
- FIR against Vaiko for making pro-LTTE speech - Apr 10, 2009
- MDMK chief Vaiko demands lifting of ban on LTTE - Oct 29, 2010
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Vaiko immerses slain LTTE chief Prabhakaran's mother's ashes in Chennai - Mar 23, 2011
- Tamil Nadu polls: Allies urge Vaiko to reconsider boycott - Mar 21, 2011
- Vaiko taken into preventive custody ahead of Rajapaksa visit - Jun 08, 2010
- Tribunal reserves order on Vaiko's plea against LTTE ban - Sep 24, 2010
- FIR against Vaiko for pro-LTTE speech - Apr 10, 2009
- MDMK activists protest Centre's invitation to Sri Lankan president Rajapaksa - Oct 14, 2010
- Cauvery river issue hots up between Tamil Nadu, Karnataka - Oct 28, 2010
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- AIADMK alliance committed to overthrow Congress-DMK compile in assembly polls: Vaiko - Jan 01, 2011
- Over 8000 MDMK activists arrested for protesting over Mullaperiyar Dam issue - May 29, 2010
- Vaiko goes on hunger strike over deportation of Prabakaran's mother - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: amendment act, bloodbath, chennai, contempt, disaffection, fir, general secretary, hatred, incident report, india section, indian penal code, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, offence, prabhakaran, prevention amendment, public mischief, sedition, speeches, tranquility