H.Y. Sharada Prasad passes awaySeptember 2nd, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 2 (ANI): Holenarsipur Yoganarasimha Sharada Prasad, aka H.Y. Sharada Prasad, the legendary Mysorean who served as media advisor to three prime ministers of India, passed away on Tuesday. He was 84 and is survived by his wife Kamalamma, and two sons.
Shourie, as Sharada Prasad was known to relatives and close friends, was born in Bangalore, educated at the University of Mysore and jailed during the Quit India movement. He joined the Indian Express group in Bombay in 1945, and was a Neiman fellow in journalism at Harvard University in 1955-56.
He edited Yojana, the journal of the Planning Commission, after which followed his stints at the prime ministers office between 1966-78 and 1980-88, under Indira Gandhi and later Rajiv Gandhi. During the Janata government, he worked with Morarji Desai for a few months before being posted as director of the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC).
The ultimate exemplar of the Mysore School of Writingnot too light, not too heavythat R.K. Narayan, R.K. Laxman, T.S. Satyan among others exemplify, Sharada Prasad wrote books on Karnataka (Exploring Karnataka with Satyan), on the Rashtrapati Bhavan (The Story of the Presidents House), and on Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru (Selected Works).
For someone who shied away from the limelight, Sharada Prasads last book was aptly titled The Book I Wont Be Writing, a collection of columns he wrote for The Asian Age. Although physically unwell in recent years, Sharada Prasad never missed a deadline, somehow managing to get to a computer and send off an artfully composed book review. (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi condole death of Sharada Prasad - Sep 02, 2008
- Aide to 3 PMs, Sharada Prasad dead - Sep 02, 2008
- Sharada Prasad, media aide to Indira Gandhi, dead (Lead) - Sep 02, 2008
- PM condoles passing away of Sharada Prasad - Sep 03, 2008
- PRIME MINISTERS' PRESS CONFERENCES - May 24, 2010
- Almost no relationship with BJP: Arun Shourie - Jul 22, 2011
- Now chug into Mysore on 'Malgudi Express' - Sep 25, 2011
- One dead as elephants go berserk in Mysore (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Tributes paid to Bharata Ratna Sir M Vishveshvaraiah in New Delhi - Aug 27, 2010
- 26 of marriage party killed (Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 14, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi interacts with students in Karnataka - Aug 13, 2010
- Photojournalist's hobby becomes a book of political quotes (With Image) - Sep 10, 2010
- H.Y. Sharada Prasad: A man synonymous with Indira Gandhi (Tribute) - Sep 02, 2008
- One dead as two wild jumbos go berserk in Mysore - Jun 08, 2011
- Moily blames Shourie, Mahajan for 2G mess - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: indian express group, indian institute of mass communication, indira gandhi, jawaharlal nehru, pandit jawaharlal nehru, prime ministers of india, r k laxman, r k narayan, rajiv gandhi, rashtrapati bhavan