Hundreds of devotees celebrate onset of monsoon month in MathuraJuly 28th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
By Nitin Gautam
Mathura, July 28 (ANI): Hundreds of devotees thronged in large numbers to offer prayers at the famous Dwarakadhish Temple in Mathura, on the occasion of the onset of the Hindu month of ‘Sawan’ that heralds the coming of the monsoon.
The monsoon month is considered sacred among devotees of Lord Krishna, who was born in a prison in Mathura.
The monsoon month marks the advent of prosperity and fertility, and the auspicious ‘Sawan’ is celebrated in diverse ways across the region.
The festival was celebrated when Lord Krishna’s foster parents, Yashodha and Nand, asked the god to go on a pilgrimage.
“In Brij (Mathura), this monsoon season has its own importance because when Yashoda and Nandbaba asked lord Krishna for a pilgrimage, so Lord Krishna called all the gods and goddesses to Brij. That is why all the gods and goddesses reside here in these four months, which are Sawan, Bhadon, Kwar (Ashwin), Kartik,” said Rakesh Tiwari, Public Relations Officer of the Dwarakadhish Temple on Tuesday.
The monsoon month of Sawan lasts from the third week of July to the third week of August. It is followed by Bhadon (August-September), Ashwin (September-October) and Kartika (October-November).
On the occasion, numerous swings hung in honour of Lord Krishna are decorated with intricate patterns involving flowers, fruits and bright ornaments.
“Lord Krishna is sitting in a ‘hindola’ (swing). It feels good to see him like this. Apart from so many devotees, the atmosphere is very peaceful here and everybody is feeling nice here,” said Vani Shrivastav, a devotee
This year’s celebrations witnessed participation of thousands of devotees from all over the state and the nearby areas. (ANI)
- Janmashtami celebrated across India with fervour - Sep 02, 2010
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Devotees celebrate Govardhan Puja in Mathura - Oct 18, 2009
- Karauli Mela, Braj region's very own Kumbh - Mar 21, 2012
- Foreign tourists find Braj Mandal Holi extraordinary - Mar 17, 2011
- Temples across India deck up to celebrate Janmashtami - Sep 01, 2010
- Vaikuntha Ekadasi celebrations in Trichy - Dec 17, 2010
- Hindus throng temples on Shani Jayanti - Jun 12, 2010
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Manimahesh pilgrimage to begin Aug 10 in Himachal - Jul 13, 2012
- Millions throng Goverdhan for annual pilgrimage - Jul 15, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,