Human yawns are contagious to dogs!September 18th, 2008 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 18 (ANI): Its not just humans who find yawning contagious, for mans best friend, dogs too can show empathy by catching yawns off their owners.
According to the studys researchers, the findings suggest that domestic dogs have the capacity for a fundamental form of empathy.
The phenomenon, called contagious yawning, has been found only in humans and other primates such as chimpanzees and is thought to relate to our ability to empathize with others.
Researcher Ramiro Joly-Mascheroni, a psychologist at Birkbeck, University of London first tested the phenomenon in his dog, a Labrador.
Immediately upon yawning himself, Joly-Mascheroni’’s dog immediately yawned. And sure enough, tests on friends” pups showed similar results.
To reach the conclusion, the furry cast included a wide range of dog breeds from a Greyhound to a Staffordshire Bull Terrier to a Dalmatian.
Twenty nine dogs went through two testing scenarios each lasting five minutes, one in which a human (not the owner) called the dog over and while keeping eye contact with the dog he or she would act out yawns that included the vocal portions.
In the non-yawning scenario, the human went through similar motions, except he or she didn”t yawn vocally and instead just opened and closed their mouths.
During the yawn sessions, 21 dogs yawned, while no dogs yawned during the non-yawning scenario. That’’s compared with 45 percent to 65 percent found from past studies in humans and 33 percent found for chimpanzees.
In addition to yawning, the dogs showed similar reactions to human yawns.
“In the yawning condition, we found the dogs reacted pretty much in the same way,” Live Science quoted Joly-Mascheroni, as saying.
“They all acknowledged the yawn in some way either by dropping their ears or turning their heads away, the expert added. (ANI)
- Dogs yawn hearing master do the same - May 10, 2012
- Chimps' contagious yawning a sign of empathy, not just sleepiness - Apr 07, 2011
- Yawning not contagious for babies: Study - Dec 01, 2010
- Dogs' human-like social skills make them man's best friend - Feb 19, 2011
- Why yawning is contagious - Sep 16, 2010
- Human yawns are contagious to dogs! - Aug 06, 2008
- Mother abandons its Dalmatian lamb - Aug 10, 2012
- 'Dogs try to comfort people in distress' - Jun 10, 2012
- Chimps can "catch" yawn from yawning toons - Sep 09, 2009
- People more likely to yawn in winters - Sep 20, 2011
- 33 pc Brits would rather spend Valentine's Day with pets than lovers! - Feb 14, 2011
- Dogs understand you as much as toddlers do - Jan 06, 2012
- British dogs to get anti-depressants - Jun 25, 2012
- Dog survives after being stabbed 21 times - Nov 16, 2011
- Dogs 'likelier to bond better with male owners than female' - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: birkbeck university of london, bull terrier, chimpanzees, dog breeds, domestic dogs, empathy, eye contact, five minutes, greyhound, joly, labrador, live science, motions, mouths, phenomenon, primates, psychologist, staffordshire bull terrier, university of london, yawns