Huge cache of arms and ammunition seized in KashmirJanuary 24th, 2010 - 8:26 pm ICT by ANI
Baramula (J-K), Jan.24 (ANI): Two days ahead of the country’s Republic Day, the Indian Army and the Jammu and Kashmir police seized a huge cache of arms and ammunition in a joint operation carried out in Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Sunday.
The seizure included 51 automatic grenade launchers, 57 grenades, 42 under barrel grenade launcher (UBGL) grenades, two anti-personnel mines, 30 electronic detonators and 10 kilograms of explosives.
The police also found one machine gun, 4 wireless sets, 28 electric circuits, 13 mortar shells, 32 improvised circuits, four charger boxes and 2100 rounds of AK rifles.
Acting on a tip off, the police and army raided Cheek-e-Mamoosa, around 32 kilometres from Baramulla, the district headquarters, and recovered the arms and ammunition.
The police, on the seizure of such arms and ammunition, claimed that it has prevented major tragedies that might have taken place during the Republic Day.
“We gathered information and launched a joint operation in which we recovered arms and ammunition and thus we have been able to avert major tragedies that might have taken place on 26th January,” said Shakeel Ahmed, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Baramulla.
After a period of relative calm, militants have stepped up attacks across Kashmir.
Security has also been beefed up in other parts of India and several cities continue to be on high alert.
The Indian Coastguard and the Indian Navy have stepped up coastal patrols since the Mumbai attackers had entered India by sea and carried out the Mumbai terror attack last November (26/11). (ANI)
- Militant hideout busted in Kashmir, arms cache recovered - Aug 27, 2012
- Arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir - May 31, 2011
- Huge cache of ammunition recovered in Kashmir - Jan 24, 2010
- Terrorist camps operating in Pakistan-held Kashmir: Indian Army - May 09, 2011
- Huge arms cache unearthed in Jammu's Reasi - Jul 20, 2012
- Huge cache of arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir - Apr 19, 2010
- Militant hideout busted in Kashmir - Jul 14, 2012
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Security forces seize huge cache of arms in Rajouri in Kashmir - Aug 07, 2010
- Arms seized in Manipur District - Feb 01, 2011
- LeT recruitment module busted in Kashmir - Jul 04, 2012
- Lashkar hideout busted in Kishtawar - Jan 21, 2010
- Two Jaish-e-Mohammad militants killed in Sopore - Jun 01, 2010
- Arms cache unearthed in J&K; - Aug 04, 2012
- Security personnel bust militant hideout in Baramullah - May 12, 2010
Tags: ak rifles, ammunition, coastal patrols, coastguard, detonators, district headquarters, electric circuits, grenade launcher, grenade launchers, grenades, indian army, indian navy, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, last november, machine gun, mortar shells, personnel mines, republic day, terror attack