How Natalie Cole battled her drug addictionSeptember 26th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 26 (ANI): Natalie Cole has revealed how she battled her drug addiction.
The Grammy Award winning singers addiction to heroin and crack cocaine was so serious that she once crashed her car while high and her young son, Robert, nearly drowned in the family pool when she was on a drug binge.
Cole hit rock bottom when she refused to leave a burning building because she needed to score.
In her 2000 autobiography, Angel on My Shoulder, she writes: “Smoke poured under the door to my hotel suite. It was so thick that it was getting hard to breathe.” She was trapped in the room with her bodyguard, and, in the belief that they were doomed, he suggested they have sex. Cole had other ideas. “No thanks,” I said, ”If I”m going to go, I”m not going straight.” I fished my freebase kit out of my purse and started cooking cocaine.””
When they were rescued, Cole realised it was time to address her addiction. She went into rehab in 1983.
“I literally lay my life in their hands, not knowing if there was a career left for me, not knowing if I could keep custody of my son, the Guardian.co.uk quoted her, as saying.
At some point everything starts disintegrating around you, and you have to make a choice. That one commitment to do whatever it takes means exactly what it says. It’’s not easy,” she added. (ANI)
- Understanding people special for Cole - Jul 16, 2012
- Brit man drowns in bath as wife cheats on him with stepson in hotel - Jan 26, 2011
- Whitney Houston: Another star falls (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- Chaka Khan says that Whitney Houston was a friend and a little sister - Feb 15, 2012
- Amy Winehouse claims she hasn't used drugs in almost 3 years - Oct 06, 2010
- Paris Hilton not paying heed to 'ridiculous, cruel' cocaine rumours - Sep 02, 2010
- Gaga loves being alone - May 06, 2012
- Ronnie Wood admits he once smoked meringue by mistake - Sep 12, 2010
- Whitney Houston's daughter denies rehab rumours - Mar 18, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan admits cocaine use - Feb 23, 2010
- My friend's death saved me: Elton John - Jul 16, 2012
- Girlicious singer arrested with cocaine - Mar 11, 2010
- Cheryl Cole to host new 'Big Brother'? - Apr 01, 2011
- Whitney Houston is sending her daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown to rehab - Mar 17, 2011
- Whitney Houston's body flown to New Jersey on Tyler Perry's private jet - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: angel on my shoulder, autobiography, belief that, bodyguard, crack cocaine, drug addiction, drug binge, family pool, grammy award, guardian, heroin, hotel suite, london, natalie cole, purse, rehab, rock bottom, singers