How a high tech Bioglass-of-milk-a-day helps bones mendAugust 27th, 2008 - 3:57 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Aug 27 (ANI): Researchers at the University of Warwick have found how a high tech glass of milk helps bones mend.
The researchers at the new Nuclear-Magnetic Resonance unit at the university said that the low temperature Bioglass is used to help fix broken bones, but until now no one has been able to understand the process.
Using a strong magnetic field to see into the bones, the researchers found calcium rush into the bioglass in the first hour of implantation.
“Bioglass is used to help mend broken bones. Recently researchers working at Imperial College discovered a new kind of bioglass, which seemed to work better, but they could not work out all the details why, physicist professor Mark Smith said.
“We looked at it through our NMR machine and were amazed by what we saw. Fluid simulating patients bodies rushed calcium out of the bioglass and then into the new bones. It seems perhaps a glass-of-milk-a-day really is what the doctor ordered,” he added.
The new Bioglass uses chemicals rather than heat to form the replacement bones.
The University of Warwick worked in collaboration with Imperial College and Kent University of the project. (ANI)
- Try dietary calcium, Vitamin D for bone building - May 03, 2011
- Scientists produce bioactive glass nanofibers - Dec 19, 2009
- Asses' milk - latest in weight reduction armoury - May 27, 2011
- Strawberries prevent heart disease, diabetes - Jul 06, 2012
- Dietary calcium, supplements better than prescription bone-building meds - May 03, 2011
- Skin bones helped huge dinos survive - Nov 30, 2011
- Calcium pills raise heart attack risk - May 24, 2012
- Stem cells Can Be used In Mending Broken Hearts - Feb 02, 2011
- Gandhi-preferred goat milk good for heart, health - May 19, 2011
- Rest can undo damage to heart cells - Apr 02, 2012
- Free milk at schools 'key to lower bowel cancer' - Jan 17, 2011
- Glass of milk makes for smarter brain - Jan 31, 2012
- Calcium supplements cause heart problems in women? - Apr 24, 2011
- Oz scientists make breast cancer breakthrough with protein discovery - Oct 02, 2010
- Drinking milk can help you shed weight - Sep 16, 2010