Horse riding, a new craze among youngsters in PunjabNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:57 am ICT by admin
Youngsters love riding horses. They also hope that one day equestrian sports will be a paying career.
The Chandigarh Horse Riding School which started four years ago, with three horses and three kids, now boasts of 20 horses for 60 students.
Fourteen-year-old Pukhraj Singh is a role model for the kids in the riding school.
“By the time I reach my age of 25 and I will have to look for a job. As of now, India does not have any opportunity for horse riders,” said Singh.
Recent, trends show that more girls are taking to horse riding.
“The one thing missing in the country is a girls’ polo team. So, we are now looking forward to start a girls’ first polo team in the country. We’ll be the first ones to do so. I think by the next one or one-and-a-half years, we should have enough girls who can start polo in this town,” said J S Toor, owner of the school.
Toor said that after retirement from the race course, the horses make a fresh start.
“We pick up horses from the race courses as horses retire at the age of 7 and a half, 8 years old. The animal is good enough for the next 15 years like we have animals competing at the age of 19 in the national and international circuit. We train them and if they are doing well in equestrian events like jumping or polo, the price jumps from 0 to 3 lakhs,” said Toor.
Tent pegging, show jumping, polo, dressage and riding - the sport demands the highest level of professionalism from both horse and rider.
Horses and humans are joined together in a long common history. It is and it will remain forever. (ANI)
- 26th N. Hazari polo tournament held in Manipur - Mar 26, 2011
- Ride horse to work, say equestrian enthusiasts - Jun 03, 2011
- Will India's indigenous horses trot into sunset? - Mar 21, 2012
- Indian Army hosts horse show in Chandigarh - Dec 20, 2009
- Army Horse show in Chandigarh - Nov 18, 2009
- Olympic equestrian: Dujardin prances to dressage gold for Britain - Aug 10, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth's granddaughter makes Olympic debut - Jul 29, 2012
- Prince Harry accused of animal cruelty over polo horse injury - Sep 03, 2010
- BSF men displays riding skills astride stallions - Dec 17, 2009
- How to reduce stress when horses are first ridden - Sep 22, 2010
- Katie Price sets her sights on 2016 Olympics - Aug 31, 2012
- Bhopal makes mark on national sports map - Oct 31, 2011
- John Terry's wife Toni becomes first WAG to represent country in sport - Jun 12, 2010
- Fire squad pulls racehorse from a swimming pool - Jul 20, 2011
- 71 years old Hiroshi Hoketsu is the oldest competitor at the London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: equestrian events, equestrian sport, girls, horse riders, horse riding school, international circuit, new craze, one thing missing, polo team, price jumps, pukhraj, punjab chandigarh, said singh, tent pegging, three horses, toor, youngsters