Home Secretary Pillai says centre is working out a strategy to deal with ULFAFebruary 10th, 2010 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Feb 10 (ANI): Union Home secretary GK Pillai has extended an olive branch to insurgents operating in insurgency-hit northeast region of the country.
Talking to reporters here on the sidelines of a high-level meeting, Pillai said that he had conveyed a meeting with the chief secretaries, DGP and other officers in Delhi.
“We are working out a strategy for dealing with ULFA, the recommendation of the official committee will be placed before the Union Home Minister who would then be discussing the matter with the Chief Minister of Assam,” he said
“We would be put the finalized strategy after discussion with the Home Minister of Assam,” he added.
Stating that insurgent outfits from the North East region continued to operate from Bangladesh, Pillai said, there was positive response from the neighbouring government for halting terror activities against India from its soil.
Pillai said he had visited Myanmar recently and had fruitful discussions with leaders there for coordinated action in border areas against insurgents.
We are hopeful that Myanmar will launch an operation against the militants at the earliest,” he added.
On the whereabouts of elusive ULFA ‘commander-in-chief’ Paresh Barua, he said, Barua was probably somewhere in the Kachin-Myanmar border area.
Pillai was hopeful that Barua would attend the peace talks, but said the parleys could begin without him. (ANI)
- ULFA leader, Indian scribe detained in Myanmar - Dec 04, 2011
- Confident of Myanmar acting tough against NE rebels: India - Jun 01, 2012
- Want special status for Assam like Kashmir, says ULFA leader - Feb 15, 2011
- ULFA to begin peace talks with Centre - Feb 10, 2011
- Peace talks with Centre were constructive: ULFA - Feb 10, 2011
- Two journalists, not ULFA leader, held in Myanmar: Official - Dec 07, 2011
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- ULFA dismiss Pillai's claim on Paresh Baruah - Feb 17, 2012
- Talks with ULFA, but not with Bodo outfit: Pillai (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- ULFA to open unconditional talks from Feb 10 (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- ULFA demands constitutional amendment at talks - Oct 25, 2011
- First round of ULFA peace talks begins Thursday - Feb 09, 2011
- ULFA, Chidambaram hold peace talks, seven-member goup formed (Intro Roundup) - Feb 11, 2011
- Open to dialogue with militants: Gogoi - Jan 24, 2012
- ULFA, government begin Assam peace talks (Roundup) - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: assam, border area, border areas, chief minister, chief secretaries, fruitful discussions, gk, guwahati, home secretary, insurgent outfits, insurgents, kachin, olive branch, paresh, parleys, peace talks, pillai, sidelines, terror activities, union home minister