Homage to unknown solider marks 61st Indian Army DayJanuary 15th, 2009 - 3:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 15 (ANI): The Indian Army commemorated its 61st Foundation Day by paying homage to the unknown soldier at the ”Amar Jawan Jyoti” here on Wednesday.
Chiefs of the three wings of the armed forces, General Deepak Kapoor, Chief of Army staff, Admiral Sureesh Mehta, Navy Chief and Air Chief Marshall Fali Homi Major, Chief of the Air staff, offered floral tributes at the Amar Jawan Jyoti.
Army Day is observed every year on January 15 to commemorate Indian General, Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa’’s taking over as the Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from Sir Francis Butcher, the last British commander, in 1949.
Later in the day, an Army Day parade comprising of marching contingents was held.
Every year, massed bands of the Indian Army provide a colourful backdrop to the parade that is attended by senior officers and military attaches of several foreign countries, besides the chiefs of the three armed forces.
The Amar Jawan Jyoti, the eternal fame, burns beneath the arch to honour the memory of the unknown soldiers.
The Amar Jawan Jyoti memorial is a black marble cenotaph with a rifle placed on its barrel, crested by a soldier’’s helmet.
Each face of the cenotaph has inscribed in gold the words “Amar Jawan”. This cenotaph is itself placed on an edifice that has on its four corners four torches that are perpetually kept alive.
It was unveiled on January 26, 1972 by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, in the wake of the 1971 Indo-Pak War. (ANI)
- Indian army commemorates 61st Foundation Day - Jan 15, 2009
- Army commemorates 62nd foundation day - Jan 15, 2010
- PM pays homage to unknown soldier (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian Army commemorates 61st foundation day - Jan 15, 2009
- PM pays homage to immortal soldier - Jan 26, 2012
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Army Chief hosts ''At Home'' on occasion of 61st Foundation Day - Jan 15, 2009
- Southern Command celebrates Indian Army Day - Jan 15, 2011
- Our patience is being tested: Army chief (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- PM pays homage at Amar Jawan Jyoti - Jan 26, 2011
- Indian Army has become more transparent, says V.K. Singh - May 31, 2012
- Ready for any challenge: Indian Army chief - Jan 15, 2012
- War widows to be inducted into the Army - Jan 15, 2010
- Indian culture, military might unfold at R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: air chief, air staff, army staff, black marble, british commander, cenotaph, chief marshall, chief of army, colourful backdrop, eternal fame, field marshal, floral tributes, foundation day, indian army, indira gandhi, indo pak war, navy chief, paying homage, prime minister indira, unknown soldier