Homage paid to martyrs at Chandigarh war memorialJanuary 30th, 2009 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 30 (IANS) Civilians joined senior defence officials at the war memorial here Friday to offer homage to martyrs who laid down their lives for the country.Punjab Governor and Union Territory Administrator S.F. Rodrigues, Western Command Army Commander Lt. Gen. T.K. Sapru, and other senior army and police officers laid wreaths at the memorial to mark Martyrs’ Day. A two-minute silence was also observed on the occasion.
The Chandigarh war memorial at the Bougainvillea Garden in Sector 3 is one of the largest in the country. The names of nearly 8,500 defence personnel, who sacrificed their lives for the country since 1947, are listed at this memorial.
The martyrs belonged to the states of Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh.
Martyr’s Day coincides with the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation, who was assassinated in New Delhi on this day in 1948.
- Lt. Gen. Ghosh takes over as army's Western Command chief - Dec 03, 2009
- PM pays homage to unknown soldier (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Kargil martyrs remembered on Vijay Diwas - Jul 26, 2012
- Myanmar observers Martyrs' Day - Jul 19, 2012
- Western Command celebrates its 62nd year - Sep 15, 2009
- India remembers war heroes on 40th anniversary of 1971 war - Dec 16, 2011
- PM pays homage to immortal soldier - Jan 26, 2012
- Air chief leads Remembrance Day for troops - Nov 13, 2011
- Bangladesh celebrates 41st independence day - Mar 26, 2012
- Army in Kashmir pays tribute to martyrs on Vijay Diwas - Dec 16, 2011
- Air Marshal NAK Browne meets Punjab Governor - Sep 09, 2009
- Last veteran of 1971 war Gen. Ghosh retires - May 31, 2012
- PM pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: army commander, chandigarh, civilians, death anniversary, defence officials, haryana, himachal pradesh, homage, largest in the country, mahatma gandhi, martyr, martyrs day, minute silence, New Delhi, police officers, rodrigues, sector 3, union territory, war memorial, wreaths