Holi celebrations begin at Durgiana temple in AmritsarMarch 19th, 2008 - 8:28 pm ICT by admin
Amritsar, March 19, (ANI): The festival of colours draws a large number of devotees from across Punjab and neighbouring states to the Durgiana temple here.
Everyone is eager to play Holi in the presence of idols of Lord Krishna and Radha at the temple. Today was no exception, and the celebrations were in full swing.
A religious procession was taken out at the Durgiana Temple complex.
According to the Durgiana temples chief priest Pandit Ved Viyas, it is an old tradition here when Lord Krishna is applied colours to mark Holi. It gives an opportunity to the devotees to smear each other with the same colour that touched Shri Krishnas holy feet.
Many artistes dressed up as Lord Krishna and Radha and besmeared each others faces with dry colours. They were soon joinedby devotees, who were standing in the long queue to enter the sanctum sanctorum of the temple.
“The festival of Holi is significant because Lord Krishna and Radha played Holi on this day. We feel really good and wait for this day,” said Kamlesh Nanda, an artist who has been coming to the temple every year, doning a robe like that of Krishna, and dancing too. (ANI)
- Guruvayur temple saw 198 weddings in a single day (Feature With Image) - Sep 21, 2010
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- 'Holi' fever grips devotees across India - Mar 20, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations: Prayers, fasts, fervour grips Delhi - Aug 10, 2012
- Apex court permits access to Kalighat temple's sanctum sanctorum (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh residents celebrate 'Laddoo Holi' - Mar 14, 2011
- PM offers prayers at Golden Temple on New Year - Jan 01, 2012
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Radhastami celebrations in Mathura - Sep 05, 2011
- Maharashtra celebrates Ram Navami - Mar 24, 2010
- West Bengal celebrates Holi with traditional fervour - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: amritsar, chief priest, devotees, faces, festival of colours, full swing, holi, holi celebrations, holy feet, krishna and radha, lord krishna, march 19, neighbouring states, presence, punjab, queue, religious procession, robe, sanctum sanctorum, temples