Hobbits relatives may have existed in northern AustraliaMay 27th, 2008 - 3:36 pm ICT by admin
Canberra, May 27 (ANI): An archaeologist, who discovered the Hobbit, an ancient human like species, on an Indonesian island in 2003, has determined that a relative of the species may have existed in northern Australia.
The Hobbits, or Homo floresiensis, who were only about one metre tall and weighed just 30kg, existed on the remote Indonesian island of Flores until about 12,000 years ago.
The specie was dubbed as hobbits because of its small size and big feet.
Now, according to Professor Mike Morwood, who had made the finding in 2003, these ancient species could have had relatives living in northern Australia.
We are searching for relatives and ancestors of the Homo floresiensis, said Morwood. I think there are a few surprises in store yet, especially for northern Australia, he added.
Indonesian seafarers on their way to Australia to collect sea cucumbers between 1720 and 1900 are believed to have scattered pottery along the Kimberley coastline.
Professor Morwood believes the ancient Hobbits may have used the same sea currents to reach Australian shores.
Morwoods team has had found the bones of several Hobbits at Liang Bua cave on Flores.
Among the creatures unique features were an incredibly small brain - just one-third the size of a human brain - and remarkably long feet. (ANI)
- 'Hobbit' was 'iodine-deficient human, not another species' - Sep 29, 2010
- 'Hobbits' were normal, not malformed humans - Jun 28, 2010
- Geneticists to drill 18,000-year-old 'hobbit' tooth to extract DNA - Jan 06, 2011
- Fossils of giant bird discovered on 'hobbit' island of Flores - Dec 08, 2010
- 'Hobbit' a genuine ancient human species, say scientists - Nov 21, 2009
- The "hobbit" evolved separate to humans - Jul 31, 2009
- Skulls of ancient hippos shed light on origin of Hobbit's brain - May 09, 2009
- The Hobbit's small brain was not unusual in comparison to other primates - Jan 27, 2010
- Humans and 'hobbits' may have existed together - Aug 04, 2009
- 'Hobbit' was a dwarf with large feet - May 07, 2009
- First-ever cast of Hobbit to be unveiled on April 21 - Mar 24, 2009
- Hobbit's brain, though small, was souped up with complex intelligence - Apr 04, 2009
- Hobbit may represent an entirely new species - Dec 18, 2008
- Boffins find mystery seafaring ancestor in the Philippines - Jun 04, 2010
- 'Hobbits' were different from us, after all - Dec 18, 2008
Tags: ancestors, ancient species, archaeologist, australia canberra, bones, few surprises, hobbit, homo floresiensis, human brain, indonesian island, island of flores, kimberley coastline, liang bua cave, northern australia, professor mike, sea cucumbers, sea currents, seafarers, searching for relatives, specie