HMV accused of glorifying knife crime with Batman badgesNovember 4th, 2008 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 4 (ANI): UKs largest entertainment specialist , HMV , was accused of trying to glorify knife crime on November 3, when the Batman badges they were selling were found to feature the deadly weapon.
The badges, which were being sold for 2.99 pounds per pack, had emblems showing The Joker framed by a circle of 12 blades, while another quoted the movie villains chilling line about cutting victims: Lets put a smile on that face.
The badges, which came with only a warning that the pin on the back could hurt babies, started a row when shopper Nadia Cooke saw them as she was browsing in a branch of HMV with her 11-year-old sister and 15-year-old brother.
I could not believe that, with the extent of youth knife crime, these products were for sale, the Sun quoted her as saying.
I feel these badges endorse knife crime.
They seem to send a signal to kids that the use of knives is glamorous, she added.
HMV chiefs said that the offending Batman badges would be removed from sale, while an inquiry was carried out.
They are stocked by numerous retailers, a spokesman said.
We apologise to anyone who may have been offended by their sale, the spokesman added. (ANI)
- Show your ID card to buy knives in Beijing - Jan 28, 2012
- Martha Stewart and Emeril sued over bad knives - Sep 14, 2012
- Abhishek Bachchan to promote Madhya Pradesh (Snippets) - Jan 19, 2012
- Carrying knife in Britain rarely invites jail - Sep 02, 2011
- Number of armed teens doubles in a decade in UK - Mar 20, 2011
- The lost art of Tibetan knife-making - Aug 29, 2011
- Civil war enthusiast Alf Thompson uses his skills to disarm robber - Aug 07, 2012
- All About a Ballistic Knife - May 14, 2009
- Politician Imran Farooq was 'watched' before being stabbed - Mar 16, 2011
- HMV suffers 36-mn-pound loss in six months - Dec 19, 2011
- Robin Williams desperate for 'Batman' role - Jun 30, 2010
- Crime is the next big space on TV: Ekta Kapoor - Sep 07, 2012
- Nolan announces 'Batman 3' title - Oct 28, 2010
- Li Fu of China had a knife stuck in his brain for 4 years - Feb 18, 2011
- 'The Dark Knight Rises' shootout disturbing: Big B - Jul 21, 2012