Historic African circumnavigation starts from 1st AugustJuly 14th, 2008 - 12:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 14 (ANI): More than 2,500 years after the first circumnavigation of Africa by the Phoenicians, a brand new replica ship with 20 paying crew is preparing to follow in the footsteps of these ancient mariners.
According to the Greek Historian, Herodotus, in 600 BC, Phoenician mariners achieved the first circumnavigation of Africa in a 21-metre square-rigged ship with around 10 rowing stations on each side.
Philip Beale, a City fund manager turned adventurer, arranged for a team of Syrian boat builders to begin construction of a replica Phoenician ship in 2007.
The 17,000-mile historical voyage will begin from Syria on 1st August with 20 paying crew aboard.
After navigating down the east coast and tackling the Cape of Good Hope, the boat will return up the west coast, through the straits of Gibraltar and across the Med back to Syria, followed by a trip to the UK in summer 2009.
The crew aboard the ship will be braving some of the most dangerous coastlines on earth in an open boat with little shelter.
Philip Beale has previous experience with such a journey. In 2003, he set sail aboard the Borobudur, a recreation of another historical voyage from Indonesia to Africa. (ANI)
- Syrian crew sets sail on historical circumnavigation of Africa - Aug 11, 2008
- US forces rescue six more Iranian sailors - Jan 11, 2012
- Russian yacht goes missing in Antarctic - Apr 07, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to Kerala Police on Italian ship - Apr 10, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to Kerala Police on Italian ship (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Italian ship set to leave - May 05, 2012
- Brit explorer set to recreate Phoenicians' epic voyage around Africa - Mar 24, 2008
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Navy's 'Mhadei' to sail non-stop from Goa to Cape Town - Nov 24, 2010
- Probe ordered into Italian ship firing on Indian fishermen - Feb 16, 2012
- Solar-powered boat prepares to circumnavigate the globe - Feb 26, 2010
- Toll in Iranian boat tragedy rises to 17 (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Cargo ship sinks off Mumbai, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Police nab officials of sunken ship - Aug 06, 2011
- Italian cargo ship with seven Indians hijacked - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: ancient mariners, beale, boat builders, borobudur, cape of good hope, circumnavigation, coastlines, east coast, footsteps, greek historian herodotus, herodotus, july 14, metre square, open boat, phoenician, phoenicians, replica ship, square rigged ship, straits of gibraltar, west coast