Hindus take holy dip in River Yamuna on EkadashiNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:31 am ICT by admin
Kartik festival had commenced on the full moon day of the Kartik month (October 26 as per the commonly used Gregorian calendar).
Devotees, mainly women, lit earthen lamps, chanted hymns and worshipped River Yamuna and Lord Yamraj. The two are described to be siblings in Hindu mythology. It is believed worshipping the river Yamuna will please the Lord of death who, in return, will bless the life partners of the worshippers.
“River Yamuna and God of death Yamraj share a closely bonded relationship. Brother Yamraj likes his sister Yamuna a lot. It pleases Yamraj when devotees take holy dip in the river Yamuna, offer prayers and light lamps during the Kartik month. He takes away all fears from the minds of devotees offering prayers here,” said Pandit Ramnaresh Tripathi, a seer.
This festival is also viewed as a symbol of love between husbands and wives. The latter pray on this day to please Yamraj for the longevity of their husbands’ life and seek a wish to reunite them as husband and wife, if reborn.
Devotees also worship the reincarnation Lord Krishna and Tulsi. By Virendra Pathak (ANI)
- Thousands of siblings take holy dip in Yamuna - Oct 28, 2011
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Devotees celebrate Kartik Purnima across India - Nov 21, 2010
- 'Deep Daan Mahotsav' organized on Vaikunth Chaturdashi in Rishikesh - Nov 02, 2009
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
- Lakhs worship at Pandharpur Vithoba temple - Jun 30, 2012
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- 'Bhai Dooj' celebrated with fervour and enthusiasm - Oct 19, 2009
- Devotees take holy dip in rivers across Uttar Pradesh on first day of Navratri - Oct 08, 2010
- Four lakh people take holy dip in Konark - Feb 10, 2011
- Hindus celebrate 'Ram Navami' - Mar 24, 2010
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Nepal celebrates Mahashivaratri festival - Feb 20, 2012
- As Yamuna overflows, Vrindavan celebrates Pulin Utsav - Sep 25, 2010
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: auspicious days, devotees, full moon day, god of death, gregorian calendar, hindu mythology, holy dip, husbands and wives, kartik, lamps, life partners, lord krishna, pandit, pathak, prayers, reincarnation, river yamuna, tripathi, tulsi, virendra