Hindu activists to protest against Sethu Samundram in New Delhi todayDecember 30th, 2007 - 12:42 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Dec 30 (ANI): Thousands of Hindu activists belonging to groups like Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP), Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and Bajrang Dal are gathering here on Sunday to register their protest against the Sethu Samundram Canal Project (SSCP).
The protesters from all over the country have reached here with banners stating the Save Ramsetu. They are likely to be addressed by VHP president Ashok Singhal, RSS sarsanghachalak K S Sudarshan, Bajrang Dal State convenor Sandeep Pahal and others.
Few months back, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, a self claimed atheist, had said the existence of Lord Ram was a fallacy as tall as the Himalayas.
His comments had irked Hindu groups over the controversial SSCP.
The project will dredge a channel in a narrow strip of sea between India and Sri Lanka, reducing distances and cutting costs for freight traffic for ships moving from Arabian Sea to Bay of Bengal.
The Hindu groups have been opposing the 560 million dollars project, saying it would destroy the ‘holy’ Ram Sethu, a 48-kilometre chain of limestone shoals that once linked Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu to Mannar in Sri Lanka. (ANI)
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Hindu activists paint Lord Rama with blood to protest against Sethu Samundram project - Dec 16, 2007
- Buddhadeb questions existence of Ram - Dec 07, 2007
- VHP rejects Governments claim that Lord Rama destroyed Ram Sethu - Jul 28, 2008
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Politics of death sentences in India (Comment) - Oct 01, 2011
- Indian Naval Chief says, Sethu Samundram is not good for big ships - Jan 22, 2008
- Centre says, Rama Sethu not a national monument - Jul 29, 2008
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lankan president's kin attacked in Tamil Nadu - Jan 10, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, ashok singhal, bajrang dal, bay of bengal, canal project, chief minister, fallacy, freight traffic, himalayas, hindu activists, hindu groups, hindu parishad, kilometre, lord ram, narrow strip, pahal, ram sethu, rameswaram, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, s sudarshan