Hindu activists in Tamil Nadu protest demolition of temples in MalaysiaNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:35 am ICT by admin
“Every month one temple is being destroyed or demolished and they are transferring the temple to the gutter areas,” said Hindu Munnani President Ramagopalan.
According to various Hindu groups in Malaysia, some 10,000 temples have been demolished so far in what is termed as “temple cleansing” drive in the country.
Ramagopalan warned of a worldwide movement against the demolition of the temples in Malaysia, if corrective measures were not taken.
Malaysian city hall authorities recently demolished Shri Maha Mariamman Temple in Padang Jawa town, resulting in a clash between devotees and the city authorities.
The Malaysian authorities reportedly said that the temple was built on an encroached land.
Built in 1873, the temple dedicated to Goddess Maha Mariamman was the oldest Hindu temple in Malaysia.
Carved images of deities adorned the temple’s grand entrance, a 22-metre high pyramid-shaped tower or ‘gopuram’. (ANI)
- Bajrang Dal protests in Bhopal against demolition of temple in Malaysia - Nov 14, 2007
- Samy Vellu appointed Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 13, 2010
- Malaysia's oldest Hindu temple portrayed on stamp for the first time - Aug 23, 2010
- Malaysians put off demolition of 130-year-old Indian temple - Oct 09, 2009
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
- Hindus laud Malaysian postage stamp of Mahamariamman Temple - Aug 25, 2010
- Protesters fined for displaying cow head in Malaysia - Jul 27, 2010
- Malay Indians express outrage over sale of slippers bearing Hindu deity impressions - Feb 12, 2011
- Hindus to move temple in Malaysian suburb - Jan 13, 2010
- Malaysia probes protest over Hindu temple relocation - Sep 03, 2009
- Rights activists protest against discrimination of ethnic Indians in Malaysia - Dec 24, 2007
- People protest demolition of ancient temple in Andhra Pradesh district - Oct 19, 2010
- Alternative sites provided for relocation of two Malay Hindu temples - Aug 17, 2009
- MIC calls temple demolition in Shah Alam "act of treachery" by state government - Oct 23, 2009
- Decision to shift Hindu temple in Malaysian city shelved - Sep 14, 2009
Tags: city authorities, deities, demolition, grand entrance, hindu activists, hindu groups, jawa town, maha mariamman, malaysian authorities, mariamman temple, oldest hindu temple, padang jawa, protest, shri, temples, worldwide movement