‘Himalayan Odyssey’ bike rally kicks off from New DelhiJune 19th, 2010 - 9:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 19(ANI): Sixty enthusiastic motorcyclists set out on the first leg of the Himalayan Odyssey 2010, from here on Saturday.
The seventh edition of the Himalayan Odyssey was flagged off by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Royal Enfield Motorcycles, R.L. Ravichandran.
The bike rally will test the endurance of the participants on the hilly terrain of Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir.
The Odyssey offers the best way to the ‘Enfield’ bike lovers from different parts of the country to put their wheels, hearts and spirits together, to experience the mighty Himalayan mountain ranges from the saddles of their motorbikes.
The 15-day adventure ride will traverse about 2560 kilometres through some of the roughest terrains, breathtaking corners, and highest mountain passes in the world.
“There will definitely be a lot of challenges, like traversing the bike through ice and snow. Water levels will be there so it will be exciting to cross the water bodies,” said Praveen Sathe, one of the participants.
Going beyond the Khardung La pass, the world’s highest motorable road, into Nubra valley, which is situated 10,000 feet above sea level, this bike rally promises to be the toughest, highest and most thrilling ride above sea level.
“I am thrilled. I have just learnt to ride a bike just two months ago and you can imagine my thrill and excitement, how much it will be there inside. I wanted to do this so badly, but never in my life I could dream of coming here today that too for Himalayan Odyssey,” said Asha, a biker from Bangalore.
The bikers will re-converge in the national capital on July 3.
While safety is the main concern, the basic pre-requisite for participation is that the bikers have to be physically fit, although medical help always remains with the bikers during their journey.
The Himalayan Odyssey is an annual event organized by the Royal Enfield Motorcycles. (ANI)
- Delhi to Leh Himalayan bike rally flagged off in New Delhi - Jun 13, 2009
- 65 bikers roar off on Himalayan odyssey - Jun 23, 2012
- Himalayan Odyssey to kickoff Saturday - Jun 12, 2009
- Pack your bags, rev up bikes, India's northeast beckons (With Images) (IANS Travel) - Jul 18, 2010
- Kingfisher's Himalayan expedition promises thrills - Jun 30, 2011
- Himalayan bike rally flagged off - Jun 28, 2008
- Under twinkling sky, bike through Rann of Kutch marshlands (IANS Travel) - Feb 17, 2010
- 60 bikers rev off on Himalayan expedition - Jun 13, 2009
- Nepal woman pedals towards win in Himachal - again - Oct 05, 2011
- Himalayan cycling expedition begins Sep 30 - Sep 19, 2011
- Bikers set out for Himalayan Odyssey - Jun 28, 2008
- Rajasthan, through a rider's goggles - Sep 04, 2009
- Nepal woman cyclist makes it three on the trot - Oct 08, 2011
- Fast but not so furious - 'Bikernis' hit road (Feature, With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- 76 cyclists to test skills on lofty mountains - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: bike lovers, bike rally, chief executive officer, feet above sea level, highest mountain, hilly terrain, himalayan mountain ranges, himalayan odyssey, jammu and kashmir, ladakh, medical help, motorbikes, motorcyclists, ravichandran, royal enfield motorcycles, saddles, sathe, snow water, water bodies, water levels