Himachal Pradesh tribals demand forest rightsFebruary 18th, 2009 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
Kinnaur (Himachal Pradesh), Feb 18 (ANI): Tribals and other forest dwellers in Himachal Pradesh protested against non-implementation of forest rights in Kinnaur recently.
The protestors alleged that the government of Himachal Pradesh was not implementing the Central law Scheduled Tribes (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act that gave rights to tribals cultivating forestland for decades.
“The government is not serious about implementing the forest tribal act. The way it is scaring the tribal people that a legal action would be taken against them. We want to tell the authorities that it is implementation of law that we are seeking. We want to educate the tribals about their rights,” said Tikender Panwar, President, Himachal Kisan Sabha. The protestors said that the government indifference in notifying the law is what is creating problems for tribals.
“The law that was passed by the Central Government is not being implemented properly by the State Government. It is not educating people,” said Shersingh Negi, a tribal.
The protestors also demanded that the government should withdraw forest-eviction cases filed against the tribals.
The Central law was passed in 2006 recognising, once and for all, that tribal people are integral to the revival, survival and sustenance of the forest eco-system. It ensures livelihood and food security of the tribal people by making them the effective owners of the minor forest products besides cultivating rights over forestland.
Each state has to notify the Central law to make it effective in its territory. (ANI)
- Himachal panchayats to again go unrepresented over hydro project - Nov 20, 2011
- New norms to improve forest rights act - Jul 13, 2012
- Notice to DLF, Himachal government on housing project - Oct 17, 2011
- Gujarat tribals demand ownership of forestland - Mar 07, 2010
- Bahuguna distributes portfolios, retains 24 departments - Apr 02, 2012
- Controversy over Shimla's ultra-luxury housing project - May 23, 2011
- Pilot project to check soil erosion in Himalayas - Jul 15, 2010
- Shutdown hits life in Himachal, minor clashes reported (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Activists protest against forest land-grab - May 21, 2011
- Thousand quintals of wood used in Himachal winters - Dec 30, 2011
- Depleting water sources in Himachal worry locals - Jun 05, 2012
- Clamour against hydropower grows louder in Himachal - Jun 30, 2011
- CPI-M eyes third front in Himachal - May 31, 2012
- Himachal voters ask tough questions on green issues - May 08, 2009
- Petrol price rise: Shops shut across Himachal - May 31, 2012
Tags: central government, decades, food security, forest dwellers, forest products, forestland, government indifference, government of himachal pradesh, kinnaur, kisan sabha, livelihood, minor forest, protestors, recognising, revival, state government, sustenance, tribal act, tribals, tribes