High security cover for Kasab ahead of trialApril 15th, 2009 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Apr 15 (ANI): Security has been beefed up in and around the Arthur Road Prison in Mumbai where the trial of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the November 2008 Mumbai attack, will be taken up by a special court today.
Nearly 1,000 security personnel have been pressed into service for Kasab’s protection. The Indo-Tibetan Border Police personnel have been deployed inside the jail.
Over 450 Mumbai Police personnel have also been deployed at the jail. In addition, platoons of reserved police personnel have also been placed.
Kasab, who will personally appear before the court for the first time, will travel through a special bomb-proof and chemical-proof corridor, connecting his cell to the special court.
Earlier, he had appeared before the court through video conference.
The entire route has CCTV cameras to keep an eye on Kasab.
The movement of traffic too has been restricted around the special court and the jail. Even the entry of media personnel has been restricted.
Special bar-coded cards have been issued to media houses, lawyers and the court staff.
Defence lawyer Anjali Waghmare, who is representing Kasab, has been given Z category security. The judge has also been provided Z category security while the prosecutor Ujwal Nigam has been given Z plus category security cover.
The other inmates of the jail have been lodged in barracks in another section, which is divided by a huge wall. (ANI)
- 'Expensive' ITBP discarded, Maharashtra to guard Kasab (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Mumbai terror attack: Kasab now demands a Pakistani lawyer to represent him - Apr 15, 2009
- `I have not been accused of professional misconduct by the court,' says Kasab's ex-lawyer - Apr 15, 2009
- Court removes Kasab's lawyer Waghmare for misconduct - Apr 15, 2009
- Man in egg cell who costs India high - Nov 25, 2010
- 26/11 terror attack: Mumbai Court to pronounce verdict tomorrow - May 02, 2010
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- High court rejects Kasab plea to meet lawyers in isolation - Sep 29, 2010
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Maharashtra lawyer Waghmare agrees to represent Kasab - Apr 01, 2009
- Verdict out, now where will Kasab be kept? - May 06, 2010
- Mulayam, Akhilesh get Z-plus security cover - Apr 12, 2012
- Kasab asks to meet Waghmare, terror trial to begin April 15 (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- Kasab's trial begins - Apr 17, 2009
Tags: amir, anjali, arthur road, bomb proof, border police, cctv cameras, chemical proof, court staff, defence lawyer, high security, indo, inmates, kasab, media houses, platoons, prosecutor, road prison, security personnel, tibetan border, video conference