High-powered speedboat introduced in Tamil NaduJanuary 27th, 2009 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
By Arun Kannan
Chennai, Jan 27 (ANI): Tourism department in Tamil Nadu introduced a high-powered speedboat at Mudaliar Kuppam Rain Drop Boat House, to encourage boat racing in the region.
The high-powered speedboat was introduced on the overwhelming response from tourists in the state. There are 10 boathouses in the state.
“The youth are not interested in ordinary tourism. They want to have thrill. So initially we introduced water scooters and it was a grand success. Then we introduced banana boats, which was also a success. Now we are introducing speeding boats that are going to travel at the rate of 200 kilometers per hours. It is going to be very fast and this will provide lot of entertainment and thrill to the youth,” said Irai Anbarasu, Secretary, Tamil Nadu Government Tourism.
The tourism department bought the high-speed boat costing Rs 6.50 lakh each. Earlier, two water scooters were introduced at a cost of Rs 12.45 lakh.
The boat clubs also organised boat races in association with Madras Boat Club to lure more residents and tourists.
“It was great and extremely exciting. It sets your pulse racing. It is something that everybody must experience,” said Suresh, a resident.
The boathouses at Muttukadu, Mudaliarkuppam, Yercaud, Pitchavaram, Kodaikanal, Ooty, Pykara and Kuttralam have generated revenue of Rupees 772.13 lakh till December 2008, which is 26 per cent more than the revenue for 2007. Among the boathouses, Mudaliarkuppam boathouse, which has 41 boats, has registered a 157 per cent increase in revenue.
The boat racing appears to have caught imagination of the young and the bold. (ANI)
- Banana boats, the latest charm for tourists in Tamil Nadu - Sep 26, 2008
- Nehru Boat Race to herald Kerala's new tourist season - Aug 04, 2012
- Apex court wants just relief to road accident victims (Lead) - Dec 08, 2011
- All charged up for Kerala's snake boat race - Aug 03, 2011
- Thousands gather to watch Kerala's Nehru Boat Race - Aug 13, 2011
- Mohit clinches JK Junior Cup title - Apr 24, 2011
- Thousands lap up nail-biting Nehru Boat Race finish (Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu delegation calls on Modi - Sep 07, 2010
- Honda targets sales of 21 lakh mobikes, scooters - May 11, 2011
- Snake boat race surges ahead, a man's legacy lives on - Aug 12, 2011
- Kerala open to setting up motor racetrack - Apr 26, 2012
- Nehru Boat Race enthralls thousands - Aug 11, 2012
- Rs.9 lakh relief for kin of woman killed in accident - May 31, 2011
- Aero Formula-1 air race coming to Mumbai - Aug 03, 2011
- Five speedboats to boost Maharashtra's coastal vigil (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
Tags: banana boats, boat club, boat clubs, boat races, boat racing, boathouse, boathouses, government tourism, grand success, high speed boat, kannan, kilometers, kodaikanal, overwhelming response, pulse racing, rain drop, rupees, speedboat, tourism department, water scooters