High-level inquiry to probe Coromandel Express derailmentFebruary 14th, 2009 - 5:08 pm ICT by ANI
Jajpur, Feb 14, (ANI): Minister of State for Railways R. Velu on Saturday said that a high-inquiry has been ordered into the derailment of the Howrah-Chennai Coromandel Express in Orissas Jajpur district, which claimed nine lives.
Velu said the Commissioner of Railway Safety would conduct the probe and will submit the report within seven days.
Forty five injured passengers are admitted to different hospitals, the condition of six of them are critical, Velu said.
Earlier, Railway officials had put the toll at 17 killed and 161 injured.
Union Railway Minister Lalu Prasad yadav has announced a compensation of five lakh rupees and a job for the next of the kin of those killed and Rs. 50,000 for those seriously injured.
The train services between Howrah and Bhubaneswar have been affected following the derailment and a number of trains have either been cancelled or their routes have been diverted. (ANI)
- Patnaik visits rail accident site, meets victims (Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
- Orissa rail tragedy toll revised to nine (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2009
- Naveen Patnaik visits train mishap site - Feb 14, 2009
- President Patil condemns West Bengal Railway attack - May 28, 2010
- Five killed in Jharkhand train accident (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Three killed, eight injured in Orissa derailment (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- PM expresses grief over West Bengal railway mishap - May 28, 2010
- Lalu announces damages for Coromandel Express crash victims - Feb 16, 2009
- Five killed in Jharkhand train collision, six suspended (Second Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Express train derailed in Orissa - Feb 13, 2009
- Relatives complain lack of information on rail tragedy - Feb 14, 2009
- Goods train derailed in Bihar, disrupts traffic (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 13, 2012
- Twenty injured as train collides with engine in Bihar - Feb 14, 2009
- Toll in Orissa lightning strikes rises to 24 (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Train derailment: Minister calls for compensation - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: bhubaneswar, derailment, feb 14, hospitals, howrah, job, lalu prasad yadav, minister of state, nine lives, railway minister, railway officials, railway safety, railways, rs 50, rupees, seven days, train services, trains, velu