High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev NandaDecember 19th, 2008 - 3:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 19 (ANI): The Delhi High Court today granted three-week interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda, undergoing five years jail term in the BMW hit-and-run case.
Justice Kailash Gambhir granted three weeks interim bail to Nanda so that he could meet his ailing grandfather, former Naval Chief S M Nanda.
“It is well-known that Admiral Nanda, had served the nation and was a 1971 war hero. In order to help the 1971 war hero to meet his grandson, three weeks interim bail is granted to Nanda,” the court said.
On December 16, the court had issued notice to the Delhi Police on contentions of Nanda’’s counsel and senior advocate Ram Jethmalani that the convict’’s grandfather was not well and wanted to see him.
On September 5, Nanda sentenced to five years in jail by a Delhi court.
The court convicted Nanda under the Section 304 (2) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), dealing with culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The law prescribes ten years imprisonment as maximum punishment.
The ten-year-old case involving Nanda, allegedly in an inebriated state is accused of mowing down seven people with his high speeding BMW car in the wee hours of January 10, 1999 in Lodhi Colony area. Six persons died on the spot while one survived. (ANI)
- High Court refuses to extend Sanjeev Nanda''s interim bail - Jan 09, 2009
- Delhi High Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- Delhi High Court rejects Sanjeev Nanda's bail extension plea - Jan 09, 2009
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Mar 06, 2009
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda gets interim bail - May 12, 2009
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009
- Court grants interim bail to Sanjeev Nanda - Dec 19, 2008
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Court issues notice to police on Sanjeev Nanda's bail plea - Dec 16, 2008
- Sanjeev Nanda found guilty in BMW hit-and-run case - Sep 02, 2008
Tags: admiral, bmw car, contentions, convict, court grants, culpable homicide, delhi court, delhi high court, delhi police, gambhir, imprisonment, indian penal code, jail term, kailash, maximum punishment, New Delhi, old case, ram jethmalani, war hero, wee hours