Heroin, fake currency seized in Amritsar, three nabbedMarch 30th, 2009 - 8:21 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Mar 30 (ANI): Police seized four kilograms of heroin and fake currency worth rupees one million from three suspects in Amritsar.
The three suspects were from neighbouring Tarn Taran district, said P K Rai, Senior Superintendent of Police, Special Narcotic Cell of Punjab police.
“We received information that a group of three men have received heroin and fake currency from Pakistan. We trapped them near defence drain bridge near village Dholan, when they were about to deliver the consignment. During inspection, we found four kilograms of heroin and fake Indian currency worth rupees one million,” he said.
Rai said that the consignment was pushed into by Indian territory by an alleged Pakistani smuggler, Julfikar.
The culprits have been charged under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Regulation of Controlled Substances Order 1993) Act and other offences.
Narcotics agencies say India, wedged between two major drug-producing regions, the Golden Triangle and the Golden Crescent, is a major transit point for drug smuggling to the West where returns are lucrative.
Heroin is derived from morphine, a naturally occurring substance extracted from the seedpod of the Asian poppy plant. Heroin usually appears as a white or brown powder. (ANI)
- Heroin worth rupees 600 million seized in Punjab - Jul 04, 2009
- Delhi Police seize heroin worth millions of rupees - May 18, 2010
- Heroin worth rupees 45 million seized in Coimbatore - Sep 29, 2009
- Punjab drug scene hits a new 'high' - Nov 22, 2010
- Drug peddler held in capital - Jan 13, 2011
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- BSF seizes 12 kg of heroin on Punjab border - Apr 24, 2012
- Three held with drugs worth Rs.40 crore - Jul 10, 2011
- Morphine seized in Guwahati - May 31, 2012
- Nigerian, Mizo woman arrested with Rs.3 mn-worth drugs - Jan 28, 2011
- Customs officials seize 20 kilograms of heroin - Feb 21, 2010
- Heroine worth 600 million rupees seized in Punjab - Sep 06, 2009
- Amritsar police seizes around 10 kilograms of heroin - Apr 18, 2008
- Drugs worth Rs.1 crore seized - Dec 17, 2010
- 75 kg of heroin seized in Punjab - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: amritsar, consignment, controlled substances, culprits, fake currency, golden crescent, golden triangle, heroin, indian currency, indian territory, kilograms, morphine, narcotic drugs, poppy plant, psychotropic substances, rupees, seedpod, smuggler, tarn taran, transit point