Herbal medicine makes Uttarakhand rural women self-reliantMarch 24th, 2009 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
By Vipul Goel
Ramnagar (Uttarakhand), Mar 24 (ANI): A self-help group is training rural women in herbal farming and medicines in Uttarakhand to make them self reliant.
Women of the Ramnagar area of Nainital District have joined the Navjyoti self-help group and are being trained in herb farming. They have created a small garden to grow herbs and from these herbs they are making medicines.
The self-help group consists of 19 women where they make various tonics, syrups and herbal oils.
“When we came to know about the uses of herbs, we circulated it around us because in our village, these herbs are easily available, especially in forest areas. They are very beneficial for us and have no side effects,” said Nanda, President, Navjyoti.
The herbal medicines prepared by this group are quite popular among the people living in this area and sometimes when the medicines are not ready they place their orders before hand so that once the medicines are ready they receive their medicines on time.
Suchetna Seva Samity is training this self-help group. According to them the reason behind the training is because herbs are easily available in this area.
“The herbs are naturally available in this area and besides sometimes allopathic medicines have their own side effects. Therefore we thought that if the herbs are cheap and easily available, then we should train these women to make herbal medicines so that they can make use of it for their health related problems as well as a source of income,” said Jaya, Coordinator, Suchetna Sewa Samity, Ramnagar.
These women are now planning to sell their herbal medicines in other villages also. Although they are living in a rural area but they have come up with their own self-employment ventures and are determined to improve their living conditions in the years to come. (ANI)
- Herbal medicine becoming source of livelihood for Nainital women - Apr 10, 2011
- Some self-help - and tribal women mean business - Mar 25, 2011
- Bihar to provide sanitary napkins at nominal price - Jul 12, 2012
- Andhra prisoners to grow herbs for Himalaya Drugs - Jul 24, 2012
- Folk healers want 'healing touch' of acceptance to continue - Nov 22, 2009
- Where children conduct their parents' marriage (Feature with images) - Aug 09, 2011
- Herbal medicine makes Uttarakhand rural women self-reliant - Jan 27, 2010
- Tripura rural market moves towards prosperity - Jun 27, 2010
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- National livelihood mission to rural raise workers's skills - Jun 03, 2011
- Ten-day Tripura crafts exhibition gives boost to entrepreneurs, artisans - Jan 21, 2011
- Herbal compound triggers kidney failure, cancer - Apr 10, 2012
- Honoured by Magsaysay Award: Nileema Mishra - Jul 27, 2011
- 94.3 Radio One And Navjyoti Foundation Join Hands - Sep 07, 2010
- Tapping Gujarat hill station's herbal wealth - Aug 29, 2011