Hepatitis B vaccination doesnt up multiple sclerosis risk for kidsSeptember 26th, 2008 - 5:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 26 (ANI): Vaccination against hepatitis B does not generally increase childrens risk of developing multiple sclerosis (MS), according to a new study conducted in France.
The study involved 349 kids with MS and 2,941 children without the disease, all under the age of 16.
A total of 24.4 percent of the children with MS were vaccinated for hepatitis B in the three years before the study, compared to 27.3 percent for the children without MS.
The researchers observed that the children who had developed MS were 1.74 times more likely to have received a certain type of hepatitis B vaccine, called Engerix B.
The risk was only found for this specific type of hepatitis B vaccine, and not for all vaccines against hepatitis B.
The researchers, however, admit that this observation cannot be taken to be a confirmation that the vaccine caused MS.
They say that further studies are needed to determine whether this is a causal relationship.
The study will be published in the October 8, 2008, online issue of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology. (ANI)
- 'Hepatitis B shot doesn't raise multiple sclerosis risk' - Sep 26, 2008
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sun exposure, vitamin D may lower multiple sclerosis risk - Feb 08, 2011
- Potent new vaccine found effective against Alzheimer's - Jun 08, 2012
- Without mass vaccination, India vulnerable to hepatitis - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Pregnant women more vulnerable to Hepatitis E-induced liver failure' (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 26, 2012
- Scientists close to finding meningococcal B shot - May 08, 2012
- Cuba to start clinical trials of pneumonia vaccine - May 04, 2012
- Smoking may up multiple sclerosis risk in some - Apr 08, 2010
- Endurance tests can detect nerve disease early - Jan 27, 2012
- Pune firm slashes pentavalent vaccine prices 60 percent - Jun 13, 2011
- Vitamin D speeds up recovery in multiple sclerosis - May 23, 2011
- Women at higher genetic risk for multiple sclerosis: Study - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: american academy, causal relationship, confirmation, engerix b, further studies, hepatitis, hepatitis b, hepatitis b vaccination, hepatitis b vaccine, medical journal, multiple sclerosis, observation, october 8, risk, sclerosis ms, vaccines