Hema Malini, Usha Uthup condemn anti-Valentine Day stance of Sri Rama SenaFebruary 7th, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Feb 7 (ANI): Bollywood actress Hema Malini and noted crooner Usha Uthup here condemned the opposition to Valentine’’s Day celebration by Sri Rama Sena.
“I think it is simply horrible. I was shocked to see what was happening on television. I don”t know how these things are just growing. Our Minister should do something. Of course, Renuka Chowdhary is doing something. I think all of us should join together and do something about it,” said Hema Malini.
Singer Usha Uthup defended the people celebrating Valentine’’s Day by saying it was their fundamental right to celebrate love in whichever manner they wished.
“What is the problem? Why do we need people to moral police us? Of course Valentine’’s Day was never a part of our culture. But if people want to enjoy it, it is their right to do so. Basically, it is a fundamental right,” said Uthup.
Pramod Muthalik, Chief of Sri Rama Sena, has reportedly said that they would vehemently oppose Valentine’’s Day celebrations in the entire state of Karnataka.
Muthalik while addressing a news conference here on Thursday had said that the men and women who would meet on February 14 would be married off as per traditional rituals. The outfit has directed educational institutions, restaurants and shops that sell greeting cards and gifts to boycott Valentine’’s Day celebrations.
Muthalik and Sri Ram Sena activists were involved in the recent pub attack incident wherein miscreants barged into a lounge bar in Mangalore, abused the owner and customers and beat up women as they tried to run for safety. (ANI)
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- Shammi Kapoor's son dances to 'Baar baar dekho' - Jan 12, 2012
- Better tie the nuptials or Rakhi on Valentines Day, warns Sri Ram Sena - Feb 05, 2009
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Pramod Muthalik justifies pub action, says will carry on protest peacefully - Feb 05, 2009
- Sri Ram Sene chief Muthalik held ahead of V-Day in Karnataka - Feb 13, 2009
- Black-faced Muthalik demands justice - Feb 12, 2010
- No religion for purpose of statecraft: Parrikar - Jun 13, 2012
- 'Tell Me O Kkhuda' not a flop, says Hema - Nov 01, 2011
- Deal with Sri Rama Sene like a terror outfit, says Faleiro - Jun 25, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Hindu radical outfit protests against Valentine's Day in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 12, 2011
- I am thrilled beyond comprehension: Usha Uthup (Interview) - Jan 25, 2011
- Ram Sene chief Muthalik attacked in Bangalore - Feb 11, 2010
- Ram Sene should be monitored: Congress - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: actress hema malini, anti valentine day, bangalore, bollywood actress, celebrations, chowdhary, crooner, educational institutions, february 14, fundamental right, greeting cards and gifts, hema malini, miscreants, news conference, sena, sri ram, sri rama, traditional rituals, usha uthup, valentine s day