Helicopter service to Amarnath suspended due to bad weatherJuly 20th, 2008 - 2:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 20 (IANS) Inclement weather Sunday forced suspension of helicopter services to the Amarnath Cave shrine from the north Kashmir Baltal base even as pilgrims continued their trek to the 3,888-metre-high cave amid intermittent rains. Heavy cloud cover and rains in the area are the reasons for suspending the helicopter services, officials here said.
“The monsoon effect, combined with a mild western disturbance, is likely to cause moderate to heavy rain along the twin routes to the Amarnath Cave shrine during the next 24 hours,” T.K. Jotshi, assistant director of the weather office, told IANS.
“Nearly 1,000 pilgrims left for the cave shrine early this morning from Baltal as the track was dry and safe,” a senior police officer told IANS.
Reports from the south Kashmir Nunwan (Pahalgam) base camp also said around 800 pilgrims had left for the holy cave early Sunday morning.
The weather office has predicted moderate to heavy rains at some places along the north and south Kashmir mountain tracks to the shrine Sunday.
“The weather would show signs of improvement after the next 24 hours,” Jotshi said.
The mountain tracks to the holy cave become extremely slippery and dangerous during the rains and only the sure-footed local guides and porters could guide pilgrims safely under such conditions.
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, assistant director, bad weather, cloud cover, early sunday morning, heavy rain, heavy rains, helicopter service, helicopter services, holy cave, inclement weather, intermittent rains, kashmir, monsoon, north kashmir, pilgrims, police officer, porters, south kashmir, weather office